Thursday, September 28, 2006

The Never Ending Sweater


The never ending sweh-HEH-TERRR...ah-a-a-ah-a-a-ah-a-ahhh.... Do you have that 'Never Ending Story' theme song in your head? I do. Do you even know what I'm talking about? 80's kids movie? A flying dog-creature? Nevermind...

sigh...

I think I've come down with a bad case of 'second sleeve syndrome'. Knitting my first 'real deal' sweater (ie; not a shrug), I'm getting a taste of how long it takes to complete a whole garment.
But I want to wear it!
Now!
Alas, I'll need to complete this (stupid, redundant) second sleeve unless I want to rock some kind of single-sleeved, asymmetrical, avant-garde cardigan. Unh....no thanks. So, I'll just have to bear with the few more inches of stockinette stitch. Then, (drumroll please) on to the ribbed border! This border requires picking up about 30 million stitches around the entire outside edge. Gaaahhh! Is there a picking-up-stitches syndrome I should know about? Pick-up-itis?



The almost-finished-sweater-boredom has prompted me to take a gander at the old stash-basket to find a new, smaller project to work on. You know, something I can finish quickly so I can feel like I'm actually accomplishing something with all this knitting. Why is it all the yarn I have on hand never co-ordinates with the projects in the queue in my head? There's either not enough of one kind of yarn, or it's the wrong weight, or the wrong colour... I can just feel your heads nodding. You know what I'm talking about.

So...socks. Socks look to be my best option. I've never knit socks before, so we'll just see how it goes. Last year sometime I picked up some of that 'magical' self-patterning sock yarn. Now, I know a lot of knitters think this yarn is 'cheating' or just a cheap novelty, but C'MON! It patterns itself! Hell-oh?! In any case, I think you'll agree it's perfect for a first sock project. I recently found some dpns in a goodwill - still in their little plastic sleeve. Perfect! I'm all good to go. Until the second sock... I hear there's a syndrome.

luv;
Miss Muffy


Teddy Turns his nose up at self-striping sock-yarn.


Selena seems cool with it.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Cats on your blog! Cats on your blog!
You are officially "in it" now.

Miss Muffy said...

Yeah, I'm working on getting my official 'nerd' badge.