Saturday, September 30, 2006

Sit 'n' spin


Lately, it seems like everyone who avidly knits yarn, also spins yarn. Am I crazy for thinking this is, well, a little, crazy? Spinning wheels make me think of pioneer villages and....Ghandi. Not that there is anything wrong with spinning your own yarn, I guess I just don't see it as a logical next step for knitters. Artists don't always have to create their own paint, do they? What's next? Raising your own sheep?

I decided to get in on this action and see what all the fuss was about. How can I judge something I don't understand? So, I signed up for a drop spindle class at Lettuce Knit. (I highly recommend it! ) At first it was incredibly awkward - kind of like rubbing your belly and patting your head. But you know, knitting used to feel that way to me, so I persevered and slowly but surely, I had yarn. I managed to create 2 skeins of colourful, slightly irregular, lumpy yarn:




So have I been converted? Well,No.

I still don't get it. Learning to spin was a great way to get to know different fibres and understand the construction of yarn etc, but it's so time consuming! I know, I know, spinning wheels make the whole process light years faster, right? That's all well and good, but I still think I'd rather have someone else do it for me. (Somebody needs to buy all that handspun everyone else is creating, right?) I'm a slow enough knitter, so if I took up spinning my own yarn as well, ...well I think I'd average finishing a sock about once every two years!

Speaking of socks, I picked up some sock yarn (yet again) while thrift shopping yesterday. Two bucks for 4 skeins! I really have to take up knitting socks! (We'll see how that first sock goes from my last post) I also found some wicked vintage Needlework magazines! Some of the patterns are hilarious, but there's a few that definitely stand the test of time (as long as I don't knit them in the suggested hideous acrylic yarns!) The best thing about the magazines? The ads! I'll be sure to post some in the future.



Happy knitting!

Luv;
Miss Muffy.

2 comments:

Diane said...

I also took the drop spindle class at LK...and I am keeping up with it. I made a pretty hat with my hand spun...i even upgraded my spindle

I like your blog...thanks for visiting mine

EllenMarie said...

I TOTALLY agree about the spinning thing! When would I have time to knit? And who would buy all the awesome handspun? I guess its just best that some knitters stay soley knitters.:)