Thursday, January 04, 2007

All in the family

I come from a long line of crafty ladies. Apparently, my maternal grandmother could churn out a pair of knit gloves in an evening. Two gloves! In one night! And that's when yarn was so fine, today's sock yarn would have been considered bulky! My mother on the other hand, dabbles in a little bit of everything. At one time or another she has knit, crocheted, embroidered, rug-hooked, cross-stitched, needle-pointed, sewn... you name it. If it's a needlecraft, she's done it. It's no wonder where I get it from.
Right now my mother is on a needlepoint kick, so she asked me to keep an eye out for needlepoint wool at thrift stores. Within a couple of months I sent her so much yarn, she's starting new projects left, right and centre. In return, I asked her to look for knitting yarn. At Christmas, she revealed her score:


10 skeins of bulky icelandic wool!


I have no idea what to do with it as of yet. It's pretty "rustic" (read: scratchy), so it couldn't be anything worn close to the skin. I'm thinking a jacket-y sort of thing. All I know is I'd better find a use for it soon, as it's a great big bulky addition to my overflowing yarn stash. Time to downsize!

My mum also gave me a couple of handmade gifts. It's been a long time since I've received anything hand knit or crocheted from my mum, but this year proved different. Perhaps my knitting obsession has rubbed off on her?


Dishclothes knit by mummy-dearest




A crocheted mesh bag. Perfect for groceries!



And here I knit nothing for her in return! Her birthday IS next month. Methinks she'll be getting some cozy, hand-knit socks...

3 comments:

denny Mcmillan said...

being a mom I know nothing says "I love you" like cashmere. Just saying.

Diane said...

oh yeah....socks for mum...absolutely!

Anonymous said...

hilarious --I always get a batch of these dishcloths from my mom every year as well (though in far more garish colours!)
;, cara