Monday, January 01, 2007

Knit-o-lutions?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I'm back from my holiday travels and am no where near ready to be going back to work. I was just getting into the swing of things! Fine food, sleeping in, ample knitting time... retirement looks appealing.

With the new year comes resolutions, and I will be no exception - at least when it comes to my knitting. Here is what I resolve to accomplish, knit-wise, in 2007:

2007 KNIT-O-LUTIONS


Learn to knit Continental style
I knit in a (quasi) English method, and have a feeling it isn't all that efficient. I have a book all about knitting continental and I plan on finally putting it to use.
Knit something requiring colour work
And no, I don't mean stripes. 'Stranded' knitting, I suppose is the correct term. Though traditional fair isle is a little too 'Heidi' for my taste, I'm sure I can come up with something.
Felt something on purpose
Knit something with cables
Knit double the amount of sweaters that I did last year
I only knit one. It shouldn't be a problem.

I like to think I've chosen short, attainable goals but only time will tell. Judging by Christmas knit-list, I could be completely deluding myself. I DID complete four items on that list, and without further ado, here's the first FO:


My bro, x-mas morning, sporting his new scarf. (He doesn't exactly love having his picture taken first thing in the morning, unshaven and in his pjs, but he still looks cute, right?)


DR.WHO SCARF!!!

Pattern: http://www.doctorwhoscarf.com/pattern2.php

Yarn: Lamb's pride bulky (colours: M-115, M-04, M-175, M-82, M-14, M-41, M-145)

Needles: 6mm Addi Turbos

My brother LOVES Dr.Who, and when I was trying to come up with something to knit him for x-mas, it seemed like a no-brainer. Until I did my research. Eighteen feet of garter stitch in sport weight?! I'd be lucky to get it finished in time for x-mas 2007! I made some major modifications, and crossed my fingers that my brother wouldn't be such a purist as to reject a Dr.Who 'inspired' scarf. Here's what I changed:

- I cast on 30 sts instead of the recommended 60.
- I knit half of the amount of rows suggested for each colour block
- sport weight became bulky
- garter stitch became stockinette (with 2 stitches of garter each side. Although, If I were to do it again, I'd knit it all in garter to prevent curling)

Despite all the changes, it's still undeniably a Dr.Who scarf. Most importantly my brother loves it!

3 comments:

The Nutritionista said...

Everything looks so good!! I have pics of socks..I will email them to you.

The Nutritionista said...

Everything looks so great!!!

I have pics of my perfectly fitted socks and I will email them to you.

Diane said...

Happy New Year!!! My knit-o-lutions are quite similar to yours, however, I'll pass on the continental knitting. It sounds difficult. I'll stick to my awkward holding method. Love the scarf!