Thursday, February 08, 2007

The long and 'whining' road

Hey all! I'm back! It's been a while since my last post, but jeesh! I've got excuses up the wazoo! It would take far too long to explain myself fully, so let's just say my weekend involved a freak snowstorm and multiple automobile issues. 'Nuff said.

On the bright side, it's rare that I have access to a vehicle and it enabled me to indulge in one of my favourite pastimes: thrift shopping! My thrifting took me far and wide across Ontario (If there is anything better than a Goodwill or Value Village, it's one outside of the G.T.A.) . Allow me to share the (knitting related) bounty:


DPN's!



Pattern Books!



I love the ladies patterns from the 50's knit in impossibly tiny guages:



I'm also partial to the men's fashions. Notice the common denominator:


Fishing and smoking!



Driving and smoking!



Golfing and smoking!



Sailing and smoking! (Also note how this picture is completely NOT GAY)


I may not be knitting any men's sailing sweaters in the near future, but I might just knit something out of this 60's pattern book. It's interesting how the women's fashions in this book could totally be contemporary, but the men's? Mmmm....not so much:



Of course, there are some things that should never come back in style:



Socks, on the other hand? Truely timeless. Whenever I get up the gumption to try some mulit-colour work, I might knit me up a pair of these:



I promise to post more often in the near future dear readers. Just thank your lucky stars for CAA and good friends!

4 comments:

Reckless Glue said...

yay, she's back! --something for me to read at work, when I should be working!...um do I spy a fair isle DRESS there?

clapotis question for you...when you made a smaller version, did you just take out some of the straight rows, or was there more to it than that? I think I need a more scarf friendly version now. woot woot.

The Nutritionista said...

The fishing and smoking guy is totally foxy.

Diane said...

i love it!!! if you are ever in Mississauga, try the Value Village on Dixie/Dundas...I bought lots of knitting stuff there. also great place to get recycled yarn if you have the time and energy for that sort of thing

Heather said...

Aaaah!
Love it!
It's comforting to know that there are more of those books out there, just waiting to be re-found.