Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Mopey Lopi

I present to you the completed Best Friend Cardigan:





I feel completely "phneh?" about it. The yarn is kinda busy. I was concerned it would be too small and/or completely unflattering and I find it bordering on both. (Let me assure you, this is a very misleading photograph and may not accurately capture the true bulk of the sweater. I don't normally have such impeccable catalogue-model posture!) While I probably wouldn't be described as exactly big, I still don't enjoy looking bigger than necessary. Why then, did I choose to knit an super-bulky weight cabled cardigan? I've been asking myself the same question and here are my answers.

- I frequently allow myself to be mislead by pretty pictures. Show me haute couture crumpled on the floor and I'll walk right on by. Slap it smack dab in the middle of an artfully styled photograph? "Oooh! Pretty!"
- I frequently misjudge/forget my true body shape. I'm beginning to think this may just a part of being female. Sometimes I feel as big as a beached whale, sometimes I feel like I'm (as my granny would say) a skinny-minnie. Whatever it is, it can often get in the way of choosing appropriate clothing.
- I am frequently blinded by bargains Finding yarn in a thrift store makes me as giddy as a kid on Christmas. Unfortunately, sometimes my need to turn someone else's trash into treasure doesn't always work. Sometimes a bargain is a bargain for a reason.


So for now it's going to hang out in my closet with all the other things I don't wear but don't have the heart to throw away. It was a quick knit, and given the $6 cost of the yarn, it wouldn't be heartbreaking if I decide to frog it. Well see - I'll have to chew on it for a while (not literally - I'd risk developing hairballs).

My Anastasia socks are coming along:



I don't like sock patterns that involve a lot of fussy detail AND variegated colours. One at a time, you know what I'm sayin'? Hence, I think this pattern is perfect; enough detail to prevent boredom, but not so much business that it gets in the way of the yarn. It's Socks that Rock for heaven's sake! It doesn't need dressing up!

In an effort to knit up some of my stash, I'm working on finding the right pattern to design a scarf with my Manos:



I'm sure Barabara Walker will come up with something. The tail end of winter may not be the best time to start knitting a scarf, but hey - there's a winter every year. At least I'm guaranteed the scarf will fit!

8 comments:

Reckless Glue said...

Hey, I just ordered that book (and three others...is it any wonder I can't get out of debt!) and I think that sweater looks fab, plus, HELLO, you always look tiny....everyone should be so lucky.
At least you're feeling blazé about a fast knit and not something you laboured over for six months.

Brenda said...

Hi,
I've been lurking for a couple of months now, but after seeing today's photos, a comment was a must. This is only being posted because you said it first - that you aren't sure about the sweater. I thought I was looking at Barbie. A petite little figure in a bulky sweater. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. But it did make me laugh first thing this morning. Hee Hee.

Alma said...

I think you look very beautiful - and slender - in the cardigan.
For a bulky yarn knit it looks surprisingly elegant.

fibersnob said...

You're reall meh about it? I love the fit of it, makes your waist look tiny. I have the book too so we'll have to see how the cardi looks on me.

pamela wynne said...

oh, well done!! and it's so good to see one of these finished, besides the one on the book. mine is stalled at about 10" because I hate the yarn -- we'll see where it goes...

kelly said...

I have this book, and I'm finishing the Karate Sweater. I'm not a skinnie-minnie and I'm worried about the potential to look enormous. I'm going to finish anyway, it'll take me about as long to rip it as it did to make. I really do like how yours looks.

shopgirl said...

Well it looks fabulous in the pictures! It is lovely. I also have a love/hate relationship with my best friend cardigan. I have found that I just need to be careful about how I wear it, but when I do wear it, I get a lot of compliments!

lomester said...

sooo... you ended up using the bernat chunky for this? I want to make something out of this book but cant see myself dishing out the $...