Sunday, March 18, 2007

Pants on fire

I am, indeed, a liar-liar. Let's just say, I'm a recovering fiber-snob. See what I bought yesterday?



So what, right? Look closer:



Eeeek! It's a big pile of synthetic yarn! I'm giving acrylic another chance, and you know what? It's not so bad. It might have something to do with the fact that knitting it with cadillac of needles, Addi turbos:



I've been dying to knit something else from Twinkle's Big City Knits but sadly, as of late, I just haven't had the Big City budget. (2007 is proving to be the year of the empty pockets, but I won't bore you with the details) After resisting the temptation to buy yarn for months (I live around the corner from a yarn store people, my restraint has been nothing if not heroic!) as well as dutifully knitting from stash, I was getting desperate. Enter: $2.97 Softee Chunky. God bless the good people at Zellers. The yarn for the sweater will probably end up costing less that the needles it was knit with!

So the sweater in question?




The "Tuxedo Jacket". In an effort to maintain my cheapskate status, I had to choose something that didn't require buying new needles (I'm also a fan of the Karate Sweater but it's not like I just happen to have 19mm needles kicking around)

I've grown a little bored with my current W.I.P's so I cast on yet another new project: the Purl Beret.



It must be peer pressure as two of my favourite bloggers (Amy and Cara)have recently completed this pattern. . Of course, I also just happened to have the right yarn. You see, before I learned how to knit socks, I picked up a skein of Koigu, coincidentally, at Purl Soho. Upon my return I realized not only that a) I had just flown to NYC and brought back Canadian yarn, but b) one skein of Koigu KPPPM will only make one sock. Rats. Short of knitting for amputees or peg-legged pirates, this yarn was not going to become my first sock. To the stash it went. Once again, my knitting chakras must be aligned because it all worked out in the end. Not only did I find the perfect pattern for one skein of sock yarn, it was designed by the very people who sold me the stuff in the first place. Good knitting Kharma!

3 comments:

laura said...

yanno....

...I actually like that sweater.

Reckless Glue said...

sometimes the faker it is, the softer it is! I was in walmart the other day and was shocked by those one pound "balls" of acrylic they have there for like 5 bucks. Massive-- they looked more like 5 pounds to me!

pamela wynne said...

I do love me some cheap fake yarn...

But it can't compare to the squooshy goodness of Koigu.