Monday, March 26, 2007

Total cut up

OMIGOD WHAT IS SHE DOING?!!!



Relax...



I don't know why people get so freaked out about steeking. I had no problem taking scissors to my knitting! (Of couse this wasn't an intricately patterned fair-aisle, but nonetheless.) You see, the sleeves on my cashmere sweater had ended up too long, but I could totally live with that (I wear cuffs, no biggie). But the way the sleeves belled? It drove me bonkers! (How ribbed sleeves turned bell-shaped is beyond me) The sleeves got caught on doornobs, drawer handles, furniture... Then there was the absent minded dipping of sleeves into plates of food, dishwater, and other such unpleasant substances (unpleasant to sleeves, that is). Something had to be done. A couple of stitches on Mr.Singer, a little snippy-snippy and all is well.

All other knitting appears to be at a standstill. Socks? Lost interest. Beret? 192 stitches around is awful tedious for such a small project. Loopy pillow? The thought of starting over after ripping back so far is distressing. Tuxedo jacket? Left in limbo until I can figure out what the heck is going on under the sleeves. Sigh.

On a completely unrelated note: I joined a knit-a-long! The Phildar swing jacket knit-a-long to be exact. You can read my first post here.

4 comments:

Reckless Glue said...

I'm excited that you've joined that...I'm still debating.

fibersnob said...

You are a brave soul aren't you? Nice work though.

pamela wynne said...

ooh, can I get some specifics about how/where you stitched? I knit a sweater for someone, and the body is too big. I'm trying to figure out a way to take it in...

Miss Muffy said...

I sewed up starting from the cuff. I marked how tight I wanted the cuff with a pin, then marked where my elbow hit the sleeve. Then I sewed from mark to mark - does that make sense? I'm sure you could do the same along the side seams of a sweater.