Thursday, May 03, 2007

Pink!!!

I'm slowly coming to except the fact that my Phildar Swing Jacket is not going to be ready to wear anytime soon. I'm a slow knitter. I cannot keep convincing myself that I can knit entire sweaters in time to wear them in the current season. Someday, I will have the forethought to knit for the upcoming season. In the meantime, I'll just have to think about wearing that jacket on cool summer nights instead of brisk spring afternoons (and hopefully it won't come to crisp autumn morns). Besides, I've grown weary of this sea of grey I've been swimming in.

What cures the monochrome blues?



PINK!!! Hot pink! Screaming day-glo in your face pink!
(it's the Alchemy Pagoda from the Knitters Frolic if you're keeping up) Considering the next thing I have planned to knit will also be grey (the biker vest from Twinkle) I need to give the poor 'ole eyes a break, you know? From black and white to technicolour - just like just like the Wizard of Oz!

I decided to knit me up a triangular, kerchief-style scarf. After experimenting with several different stitch patterns and discussing the project with the almighty Denny, (yes that Denny for all you Harlot fans) I/we reached a decision: Garter stitch.



Why does garter stitch have such a bad rap? It's got a sexy name, doesn't it? It's the first stitch pattern we all learn, and the last one we turn to for inspiration. I too fell into the trap of "oh that's a beginner stitch". But you know what? It was exactly what the project needed! Besides, it hardly even registers as garter stitch in this yarn! It's all wiggly-piggly! I'm throwing in a couple of yarn-over eyelets for interest and before long, I think I'm gonna have myself one helluva triangle.

Just when I turned my back on the the Phildar jacket, guess what showed up on my doorstep?



My pattern books. Sensass! (Quite speedy delivery I think, considering they're direct from France.) I was a little confused when I opened the package to find four books when I had only ordered two. Une erreur ? Non! They sent me both the French and English instructions. Great, right? Canada's second language is French! I know some bilingual knitters who would take the copies avec tous mes remerciements! I could share the wealth! But alas, the English books are only the written patterns. No pictures. Quel dommage!


Ooh! - And as an interesting side-note: It turns out my favourite pattern from Runway Knits, Springtime in Paris, is available for free here. Thanks anonymousl commenter!

3 comments:

Reckless Glue said...

I'm with you on the garter stitch...I've picked up a bunch of Elizabeth Zimmerman books lately and she's totally turned me on to the beauty of it again.

Diane said...

garter stitch and boucle yarn...great combination

denny Mcmillan said...

awww shucks, ( kicks ground with foot in a playful manner)