Thursday, August 09, 2007

The Swing has Swung




At long last, pictures of my finished Phildar Swing Jacket.



I can't really put my finger on why I don't love it. It's just something about the fit. See, it looks pretty good if I have my arms out, or my hands on my hips like above. But with my arms down?



I looks a lot more boxy than swingy.



At first I thought maybe the chest was just too wide, and if I took it in, then it would be more bell shaped and therefore, more flattering. But how can the chest be large if I have this:



Boob gapage!

Sigh. I don't think it's really the style - I have another, factory made swing jacket that I love. Is it that the shoulders don't fit? The neckline is too wide? It doesn't flare enough? Not enough drape? I don't know. I'm hoping I'll be able to make some kind of alteration and, BAM! I'll be totally in love with it. Maybe I should block it again? Suggestions welcome!

THE RUNDOWN
:


PATTERN
: Phildar Swing Jacket From Fall 06/07 cataloque, pattern #16 (N 456-T6-221)

YARN
: Elann.com peruvian highland wool

COLOUR: 402

NEEDLES
: Denise 4mm

7 comments:

Reckless Glue said...

ooooh aaaah! I just posted on the phildar site about it --looks great! Though if you're feeling blah about it I would have no doubt hated it on me, so I guess my rethink of it was warranted. I had the exact same issues with the brown swing jacket i knit. More box than swing.
But I seriously think this looks great on you, and I think it's a major accomplishment --good work lady!

Diane said...

that is one very nice jacket...it's perfect for the autumn-like evenings we are having over here...

firefly said...

WOW. i can't believe you made that. all i can do is crochet squares/rectangles so i'm limited to scarves and blankies. actually i did make a toque once but that's another story.

sorry you don't like your jacket but to this non-knitter it is a a miracle. Nice work!!

fibersnob said...

You don't love it!?! WHAT? I think you did a fantastic job and it looks great on you. I've been wanting to knit this one for the longest time.

RedThread said...

I wandered over here to look at your Best Friend Cardigan, initially, then stayed to look around ;)
Nice work on the coat! If it feels too boxy you could always belt it... though I think it would look fabulous with some long, brightly colored gloves! (or even black, very sophisticated!)

Elizabeth said...

I think it looks awesome. I'm hoping that once you start wearing it regularly you'll find that you really like it. I don't think you need to change anything... great work.

Leslie from Goodcrafternoon.com said...

Oh, I love it! And I love your bloggy too! Consider me smitten with your banana phone cuteness!

And you have inspired me to try that pattern as well. Yee ha!

- Leslie at Goodcrafternoon.com