Saturday, September 08, 2007

Luck of the somewhat Irish

I tell people I'm half English, half Irish, though the Irish portion is debatable. Despite having relatives with names like Margaret, Irene and Theresa, the reality is, that side of the family goes back many generations in Canada. The fiddle-dee-dee factor has surely been diluted. The luck, however seems to be going strong. At least when it comes to knitting.

I am the August winner of the knitting contest from Twinkle's Big City Knits. For those who aren't aware, if you've knit something from that book, you can submit a photo of your FO for the chance to win a prize. I submitted my biker vest and I won! Awesome right? Well, sort of.



The prize is a $20 gift certificate for Twinkle Living. Though I love the Twinkle line, it's a little on the high-end side of the pocketbook. The least expensive item is, of all things, a knitted ipod warmer for $55! Great! My prize is the opportunity to spend $30 or more for something I had no intention of buying in the first place!

I hate to sound ungrateful, but c'mon! Wouldn't a skein from her yarn line be more appropriate? I think my prize shall lay unclaimed. I will instead choose to bask in the glory of being a "winner".

And that's where my luck runs out. I was click-clacking along on my Clapotis, when I realized I had made some kind of mistake. (I blame my new found obsession with attempting to read and knit at the same time. Like shampoo/conditioner combos, I end up doing both jobs sub-par) I had high hopes for this Clapotis. I was going to conquer it snafu free! I am currently tinking back rows and scratching my head. I know I'll eventually figure it out, but I prefer to knit forwards rather than backwards. Is this my punishment for looking a gift-certificate in the mouth?

4 comments:

Knitting Mama said...

That is too bad about the prize! I would leave it unclaimed too.

Don't know how I stumbled upon your blog, but I'm delurking!

Reckless Glue said...

ah, the "make-work" prize. That ranks right up there with what I like to call "the gift that gives like a dig".

Christie said...

Um...I don't know what to think about that. Would calling the company and asking for a skein of yarn in lieu of a gc work?

Knitterella said...

ah, that's not cool. I sure hope I don't just get a $20 gift certificate. I looked at the Twinkly Living site and yes, although great, it's too expensive for my pocket book too!

Gee, you could buy hanger for $40 - split that in half with your gift card and it'd be $20.

Come on!?