Sunday, September 16, 2007

Thriftin' the night away

I am in the midst of some serious baby knitting. Unfortunately, this is secret baby knitting (the knitting is secret, not the baby). At the risk of spoiling the surprise should the mother-to-be stop by casa de Knitteroo (Hi Gabby!), all I can show you is this:



If you're dying to see what I'm up to and you're on Ravelry, by all means look it up.

In the meantime, more thrift scores!



I think this magazine is my best score to date. A 1958 Vogue Knitting? How awesome is that? The original receipt was still inside:



Knit swimsuits anyone?



Tee-hee!:



Why do I read this as "Very young, very gay clothes"? Hmm, maybe because of this:



Tell me those poor young man's knit trousers aren't "very gay".

In all seriousness though, there are some very beautiful designs in the magazine. Unfortunately most of them are all knit in tiny gauges that would make me want to pull my hair out. There are exceptions and I'm quite smitten with this one:



It's knit five stitches to the inch in garter stitch - totally doable. Vintage sizing however? Wacko. I would have to knit the largest pattern size, when I usually knit the smallest size given. Oh, how times (and waistlines) have changed.

I also found a 1991 issue of Vogue Knitting, but somehow between flipping through it last night and sitting down to write this post... it totally vanished. Sucked into the black hole of mystery with all of those stitch markers and odd socks. You really don't need to see the patterns in there anyway. A lot of hideous, over-sized, multi coloured monstrosities. Well, except this:



See the little picture in the corner? That's from the issue I found. As a lot of you know, the latest Vogue knitting re-worked a lot of their past patterns for the 25th Anniversary Issue (I know, how can I have a 1958 magazine if it's only the 25th anniversary? It's a long story). Now I have the '91 and the '07 version. Although I really like it, given the complexity and size of the sweater it doesn't really matter because I'm probably not going to knit either of them!

Just out of curiosity; are you all sick of seeing the junk I pick up at thrift stores and garage sales? I obviously do this a lot and I'm not sure that everyone finds it as fascinating as I do. Let me know!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like any hobby of yours that lets me check out what the very young very gay kids were wearing back in the old day. Roll on thrifting photoshoots!

Erica said...

I love that striped sleeveless number int he swimsuit article! Horizontal stripes aren't really my friend though :p

Macoco said...

Oh those certainly are the gayest of all knitted trousers! ;)

Christie said...

It's totally interesting!

Linda said...

I love seeing your thrift store finds!!
Keep thrifting and sharing :-)

Margo said...

Love the thrift store finds! Do NOT stop with the finds! Love the Vogue!