Saturday, November 10, 2007

Oh Baby!

Now that baby Riley has seen fit to grace us with her presence, I can finally reveal my secret baby knitting!

First off, another pair of baby uggs:



As much as I love this pattern, I find it infinitely frustrating that one skein of the faux suede yarn yields exactly three baby booties. This means you either end up with one pair of booties and a partial skein of rather useless novelty yarn, or you buy two skeins and knit 3 pairs of booties. Good thing my friends keep getting knocked up!

The next project was my vacation knitting. I cast on at the airport:


(Yes, the wine drinking began before landing in France. Heck, the bar was right beside our gate!)

Did a little train knitting:


(I swear I didn't wear the same shirt the whole vacation!)

And voila!



Pattern: Classic Baby Cardigan by Debbie Bliss from Vogue Knitting Spring/Summer 2007
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino
Colour: 005
Needles: 2.75mm, 3.25mm Addi Turbo Lace needles
Notes/Modifications: The original pattern has a contrasting colour around the collar. If I were to knit it again, I'd add another row or two of garter stitch at the edges to prevent curling. I might also devise a way to knit it in one piece - top down perhaps? I knit the sleeves and fronts two at a time to make sure they were the same length.

I really like this little sweater! It was a little bit fussy, as it's knit in pieces then joined together at the yoke, but well worth the effort. The yarn has great stitch definition, usually a plus, but in my case it only served to define my sloppy knitting:



Oops! It is exceptionally soft though, and the fact that it's machine washable is more important to me than anything else. (Cashmere is beautiful, but I don't want to send my friends to the dry cleaners every time the baby spits up!) I'm also quite pleased with my button selection - if I do say so myself. The buttons I bought in Lyon work perfectly with the colour!



When I returned home to find the baby was still a no-show, I thought I'd use the leftover yarn (and leftover time) to make a matching hat:



Pattern: Baby Hat with Leaf Edging
Yarn: See above
Needles: 3.25mm addi turbo lace needles (magic loop)
Notes/Modifications: I don't really like the way the border flips up. I have it flipped up further than the pattern picture shows 'cause it just didn't seem to sit right. The pattern has you knit reverse stockinette for the portion that overlaps - I think this was the problem. Maybe garter stitch would work better? I'd have to experiment.

Speaking of experiments, how's this for innovative blocking:



Globe style light bulbs are conveniently similar in size and shape to baby-noggins. Bonus - if you turn the lamp on, the heat from the bulb helps dry the yarn!



With a couple of days to go before meeting the new arrival and still an ample amount of yarn left, I cast on one more time:



Pattern: Better than Booties Baby Socks by Ann Budd
Yarn: See above
Needles: 2.25mm thrift store dpns
Notes/Modifications: I ended up working an "interpretation" of the pattern by working the cable twist every 5th row instead of every 4th. I used the short row heel and toe method from the instructions, but if I were to knit them again I'd just use my preferred method. The slightly heavier weight yarn meant the socks were a little bigger than the pattern suggests, but enh? Who cares? Babies, grow, right?

There you have it folks! Now the knitwear lies with it's rightful owner. (I met little Riley last night, she sneezed on me, it was grand). How frustrating to knit in secret for so long and then blow four finished projects in one post! Please savor them!

2 comments:

Reckless Glue said...

SO much cute baby stuff!

hey--so was it an issue bringing knitting needles on the plane? I'd like to take mine the next couple of trips but am leery of having anything confiscated...

kgirl said...

awww, that baby knitting is just too cute! The hat, the socks, the jacket - just kills me!

and the so-called sloppy knitting? Meh, it'll all come out in the wash!