Saturday, December 15, 2007

Rein(deer) on!




Pattern: Rory the Reindeer ornament from Roxycraft
Yarn: Mayflower Cotton 8
Hook: 2.75mm
Mods/notes: Would use a smaller hook to tighten up the fabric if I were to crochet another one

My bright idea to crochet snowflake ornaments for last minute gifts fizzled out rather quickly. It seems the crochet skills needed to make lacy snowflakes are a little beyond me. With no time to be teaching myself new tricks, I moved on to plan B: amigurumi! This little pattern is quite easy and totally adorable. If I were a more experienced "hooker", I could have probably whipped this off in a couple of hours. Being as green as I am, it took two whole evenings! In the end, it was well worth the effort. I put little Rory here in my office gift exchange and won a prize for most "stolen" gift. (It ended up going home with some guy from the sales department I don't know at all.)

People in my office were absolutely flabbergasted that I had made the reindeer. "You made that? How?" They reacted like I was Chris Angel or something! Is it really so strange to make something with your own two hands rather than pick up a gift card at Starbucks? Mind you, these are the same people who never cook, and don't believe it's possible to live without a car. (If they were blown away by a little crochet, I probably shouldn't tell them I make my own breakfast cereal and I walk forty minutes to work everyday.)

2 comments:

Reckless Glue said...

OMG!!!! that thing is so cute! I need one for my "woodland creatures" tree---ok maybe I should actually pick up that crochet book and teach myself, just for the sake of some adorable amigurumi. Honestly, why am I so afraid of crochet?

Courtney said...

Very Cute :-)