Saturday, December 01, 2007

TCB

Hello? Fall? What happened to you? It seems like yesterday I was kicking brightly coloured leaves down the sidewalk and now I'm worrying about what to wear to my office non-denominational-winter-holiday party. What gives? I feel like we skipped a season! Unfortunately, the missing season is the very same one when a knitter begins to make a list, and check it twice.

The Christmas knitting!!!

Ah, Christmas knitting. I told myself this year, I was not going to knit anything for anyone unless they expressly asked for a knitted gift. Then I decided I would just crochet some little presents for my co-workers. Then I thought, well, I'll start some gifts for my family, and if I don't finish them by Christmas it's not a big deal because they all have birthdays early in the new year. Then I thought I'd do a little stash busting and knit hats and slippers for my friends. Then I thought I'd should crochet snowflake tree ornaments to have on hand for last minute gifts... You can see where this is going. My Christmas knitting quickly went from zero projects, to this:

- 4 amigurumi toys
- 1 (small) lace shawl
- 1 pair of socks
- 2 hats
- 2 pairs of slippers
- 2 baby sweaters
- several crocheted snowflakes

And that doesn't include non fibre-related holiday crafting or personal knitting. Heh-heh. Prioritization is in order. (Not to mention unlimited free time, but I'm hoping that will somehow just appear out of thin air.)

Here's my progress for week one:



Bender
has two legs.



A swallowtail shawl has been started and is now only big enough to qualify for, um, intimate apparel.



And a new cardigan for me. Wait, what? That's not on the list! After starting a crochet project and a lace shawl, two things that are very new to me, I craved some somewhat mindless knitting. Let's not forget my last two sweater projects have ended in disaster. I deserve to be a little selfish with my knitting time now and again, right? Besides, what if I want to watch a movie with subtitles? The sweater is this:



From the pattern in this. I'm attempting to convert the pattern to a mostly seamless construction. I realize this might detract from the idea of this project being "mindless" and "sure to be successful", but I've never been one to make things easy on myself.

What have I got myself into?

3 comments:

kgirl said...

i love that cardigan pattern for yourself!

Courtney said...

I really like the cardi. I started my Christmas knitting in July, so I am just finishing up and adding last minute things... I know... that isnt nice of me... tee hee...have fun with your Christmas knitting :-) I love this time of year

Reckless Glue said...

man i seriously need to learn how to crochet---my nephew would love that bender!