Saturday, January 26, 2008

Down to business

I am shocked and amazed at the generosity of my readers. I can't thank you all enough for the donations that have been made to my Selena fund. So far, your contributions have covered around 15% of her vet bill - considerably more than I ever thought possible! Selena is recovering very well and very quickly from her surgery. She says thanks!


(Well okay, she wasn't too pleased about being taken away from her choice spot in front of the space heater for this photo, but you know how cats are - she's smiling on the inside. Really.)

But let's get back to the knitting, shall we?

I have a confession to make. I want to design knitwear.

For some reason, I've been reluctant to admit this. I used to think every knitter wanted to design. I realize now, that may not be the case. Lots of knitters are perfectly content knitting from other people's patterns. Sure most of us modify patterns up the wazoo ("Let me just change the colours, yarn, knit it top-down and shorten the sleeves...") but that's not the same as designing. That's more like, say, substituting your fries for a salad. Me? I want to create the menu.



I suppose the biggest reason I haven't shouted my aspirations from the rooftops, is plain old humility. I haven't been knitting for very long. I've never knit fair-isle or entrelac or anything with steeks. I screw up my knitting all the time. I'm not so good with the math, etc., etc... I have a million excuses and none of them really hold any weight. If I heard a friend kvetching like this, I'd tell them; "Everyone has to start somewhere", and "You never know unless you try", and maybe even "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...".

So in an effort to muffle that inner voice of insecurity, here's a few reasons I think I should be creating my own designs:

1 - I have ideas.

I gots ideas like Imelda Marcos had shoes.

2 - I follow fashion.

I pretend to be all high-falutin' by reading the Globe and Mail every Saturday, but the reality is, I read the Style section first (and, well, last). I buy Vogue every month. I know that Dsquared is not an algebraic formula. I know how to pronounce "Miu Miu". (It's mee-oo mee-oo by the way)

3 - Consequences are not dire.

No one will die if I don't succeed. To borrow a page from the Yarn Harlot: There are no knitting police. If it takes me ten years to design a hideous sweater that no one likes it's no big hairy deal.


(First attempt at designing a cable pattern: horribly unsuccessful.
Body count? Zero.)


4 - D.I.Y. is one of my favourite acronyms.

"Can't" is not a word that ever comes to mind when I'm faced with a challenge. If my tap drips, I learn how to fix it. I've taught myself how to do a lot of things over the years, and knitting is not rocket science. (Rocket science not being one of my self-taught achievements)

So there you have it. I'll take you all along for the ride, so put on your seat belts: I see a lot more ugly swatches in the future.

6 comments:

Reckless Glue said...

cool! I know those Julia designs will get moved to the front of the queue, bring 'em on...

Nadine Fawell said...

I love your first attempt, so I am definitely along for the ride!
I don't think I want to design (I may eat these words later...) But I would like to knit cute, clever things that look more impressive than they actually are!

Christie said...

Good for you. The first step is admitting you want to do it.

Macoco said...

I'm so happy to hear that Selena is feeling better! :)

whistlepeaknits said...

I nominated you for the You Make My Day Award!

kgirl said...

you go for it! too many people let fears and inhibitions hinder their passions, so stand proud that you are willing to give it a go - I'm sure the results will be fabulous!

and glad to hear kitty is doing ok, and that you've had some help with the bills - it's a good community we exist in :)