Saturday, February 16, 2008

Gretel: the return

The name "Gretel" should conjure up thoughts of fairytales right? So why is it I always think of the Babes in Toyland song? I guess I'm just a product of my generation. The generation of that survived the great Cabbage patch debacle of '83, the NKOTB pandamonium of '89 and mourned the loss of Kurt in '94. (I suppose my recent birthday is making me feel nostalgic. That and I hear grunge is making a comeback. Dust off your flannel and combat boots! ***Shudder***)

Thanks to Ysolda Teague, a lovely cabled beret has replaced Kat Bjelland when I think of "Gretel".

Gretel the second is complete!



PATTERN:
Gretel by Ysolda Teague
YARN: Vermont Organic Fiber Company O-Wool classic in colour #6402 (just a smidge over one skein)
NEEDLES: 3.75mm & 4.5mm Denise cirulars / random aluminum dpns
NOTES/MODIFICATIONS: Made the "regular" fit version, no modifications



I'm totally in love with Gretel number two. To quote "Tracy Jordan" from 30 Rock, "I love it so much, I wanna take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant."


I love the stitch definition:


I love the tubular cast-on that I finally mastered:


I love the colour that I used to hate but now I love because it reminds me of butternut squash and velour pullovers my Dad wore in the 70's.



Sorry, Gretel the first. I know you were a faithful travel companion, but sometimes you just have to do something twice to get it right. Um, like, going to the yarn store twice because I underestimated the yardage this baby would eat up. Lord knows I can't enter Lettuce Knit without buying at least one more item than intended:


I think my Gretel II leavins' will co-mingle nicely with this plum colour in a pair of these. Ready, Set, Knit is lighting a fire under my tush to finally tackle my first colour-work project. I'm going to need all the help I can get!

9 comments:

whistlepeaknits said...

Possibly my favourite 30 Rock quote. Tied with:
Tracy: I'm gonna make you a mix tape. You like Phil Collins?
Jack: I have two ears and a heart don't I?

The hat looks great!

Knitting Mama said...

Oh, it looks great. And I love your hair!

The Happy College Knitter said...

I LOVE that! It seriously looks so great with your hair/eye/skin/paint coloronthewall/whatever you pair it with I'm sure! hah. Now I want to make a second one...I used handspun the first time and though I will always love it, the stitch definition was less than to be desired. Hooray for a new hat and also hooray for you starting Bird in hand mitts!

ysolda said...

Gretel makes me think of the song too, which is even sillier because I was about 7 when it came out!

Love the colour you used, it looks so great with you hair :)

Courtney said...

That came out soooo nice, the color is really nice on you :-) Great job

Reckless Glue said...

looks awesomw lady--great colour!

ingrid said...

I just finished my first Bird In Hand mitt, which was also my first colourwork project! Whee! We live parallel lives!

Great hat, by the way. I want one.

Christie said...

So cute!

Alison said...

The hat is great, and it looks great on you.