Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Knit Lit

In an effort to drag out my birthday for as long as humanly possible, I'm very excited to report new birthday booty: Books!

Despite "family day", Canada Post was a go on Monday (so why did the LCBO have to close?). Look what the mailman dragged in!


Whee! The Knitters Book of Yarn by Clara Parkes, Twinkle's Weekend Knits by Wenlan Chia, Mr.Funky's Super Crochet Wonderful by Narumi Ogawa, and Interweave's Knitter's Companion by Vicki Square and . Whew! No doubt most of you either have these books, or have at least heard of them, but here's my take.

Mr.Funky: I bought this book sight unseen. Mmm, kind of wish I'd seen it first. While it has some nice patterns for toys it's not as exciting as I thought it would be.



I didn't realize it wasn't exclusively an amigurumi book. There are a few patterns for hats and scarves, most of which are well, just not for me.

Overall though, I think this book would be a good introduction to Japanese crochet. Because the book explains the Japanese charted style of crochet instructions (as well as giving you the standard English instructions), you could easily move on to Japanese patterns that have no English in them whatsoever. Good times!

Twinkle: Wenlan Chia strikes again! Attack of the chunky knits! (I had trouble finding pictures from this book on the interweb so I've posted some pics for your perusal here)



I have anxiously awaited the arrival of this book! For the most part, I prefer Big City Knits, but I think some of these designs might still find their way onto my needles. Most notably the "Nimbus" sweater:


Which I would totally wear with bikini bottoms (what?). Another contender:


I'm thinking I might knit a hybrid of the two. (There should be a term for that - a knittwo-way?) With Twinkle yarn lingering in my stash it's taking incredible strength of will not to cast something on immediately. (Must finish cardigan. Must finish cardigan...) As for the rest of the book, there's certainly a heck of a lot of scarves. Maybe that's the weekend part? Fast knits? For that reason it could be a great book for a beginner knitter. How cool would it be as a newbie knitter to whip up a designer scarf all lickety-split?

The Knitters Companion? Nothing much to say accept I should have bought it a long time ago. A collection of basic instructions and knitting info that's sure nice to have all in one place. Spiral binding, hard cover, compact size... genius.

Then we have (cue the choir of angels), the Knitters book of Yarn: When I first saw this book popping up on the blogisphere (or is that blog-o-sphere?), I was all "whatevs". A book just about yarn? Like a yarn textbook? Who cares? That's for nerds, man!

Then Flint Knits showed me the error or my ways. She displayed the results of her newly begotten yarn know-how with a totally fabulous hat. Intrigue set in. Why didn't I think of it before? The more you know about yarn, the better your knitting will be. Duh! I think it's a bit like cooking, really. You wouldn't substitute rice flour for wheat flour and expect your cake to turn out the same, would ya? Why would you do that with yarn? Guess I'm a officially a nerd now. (Like I wasn't waving the geek flag before)

So, yeah, I got the book. And surprise to me - patterns!

(Why am I all horny for fancy mittens this days?)

Another surprise to me will be the fifth book I ordered. I know I ordered five, and one is delayed. I can't remember what it is, and even though I could easily look it up, I'm not gonna. There's an upside to my pea-sized memory as I can keep secrets even from myself. I can't wait for old-age dementia to set in. It should be a blast!

3 comments:

Christie said...

How funny is this...I was at the bookstore Monday and picked up the Twinkle book and thought that it wasn't for me but would totally suit you [since your vest came out so fabby!]. And...I was looking for that Book O' Yarn and they didn't have it!

Too funny!

And dementia? Didn't you just turn 25 or something? Kids these days...

The Happy College Knitter said...

Look at all the birthday goodies you got!

Who doesn't wear chunky sweaters with bikini bottoms? I feel like there are freshman on campus here who accept that as their fashion norm. Pretty much anyway--some of them missed the news flash that it's -30 windchill here...maaaaaaaaybe that means it's too late in the season for miniskirts. Oy.

I'm definitely intrigued by knitter's book of yarn, that looks like a really informative/awesome read. Thanks!

Reckless Glue said...

I was also torn by that Nimbus sweater in the new Twinkle, but I went with the Borealis instead. You could easily do both pretty quickly, but I'd say go with the nimbus...the borealis is boring (tho that could be because I did it in plain black...) I kind of didn't notice the nimbus on my first flip through cuz those bikini bottoms were so distracting. And so far at least no incomprehensible pattern reads like the last book! (I am still sweating thinking about casting on for that biker vest)