Thursday, February 28, 2008

Winter blues... I mean greys

It's still February? Sigh.

I think I officially have the winter blues. I actually found myself searching online for local suppliers of those special full spectrum lights. (You know, for S.A.D. )

Don't worry. I'm not about to run out for a Prozac prescription or anything. It's just all so... grey. Which brings us to my knitting:


Fascinating isn't it? I can see why the Yarn Harlot avoids knitting "unhappy" colours in winter. February is rough in the northern hemisphere, and this winter is shaping up to be the roughest in years. If this winter was a knitting pattern, it would read thusly:

Row 1: Big snowstorm, slight thaw, severe cold snap* repeat from *

For some sadistic reason I have restricted myself to knitting this grey cardigan and only this grey cardigan until it is absolutely, positively complete. Cruel, yet really, it's the best plan of action. I desperately want to start something new, and the only way that's going to happen is when this sweater is on my back. The only way this sweater will get on my back is if I refrain from casting on anything new. By knitdom come, thy will be done.

Luckily, Mr.Mailman is keeping my spirits up with his continual flow of delayed packages:


I finally got a yarn swift! Woo-hoo! No more yarn-wrangling with my knees! No more reluctant boyfriend assistance! I bought it with birthday moolah on e-Bay from this seller. I got a great deal, especially now that the US dollar is so crappy - tee-hee! I find it frustrating when packages get delayed at the border though. This one was actually opened:


I suppose I should feel comforted that Canadian customs agents open boxes that are approximately the same size and shape of firearms. I'd just like to hear the conversation that followed:

"Hmmm, yesiree Bob, that is certainly not a shotgun"

"Sure Hank, but what the hell is it?"

7 comments:

whistlepeaknits said...

This is so funny...Chris and were just talking about how we're feeling "the winter blues." We used those exact words. I wish I could use my tax return to fly to Monaco or something.

The Happy College Knitter said...

Oh that's too funny---hahaha! My dog backed up several feet the first time I opened my swift in front of her. Sad news about the endless grey, I'm starting to get that ucky winter feeling too here--everything has been melting and refreezing so it's just all dirty and gross looking. Anyway, it will feel good once you have the sweater finished--maybe you could sneak a brightly colored hat in to break up the monotony?

Vaedri said...

Well, at least the sweater will keep you warm in this nasty greyness. We're not quite done with winter yet. Sigh.

That seller has some really nice stuff! Thanks for the link!

Reckless Glue said...

even *I* a professed lover of winter, have.had.enough. I feel your pain.

Christie said...

Well, the dollar is crappy, but it's 80 degrees outside. Win some, lose some, ay?

I think you need to finish off that gray and start knitting something bright and happy!

Courtney said...

I cant wait to see th sweater complete :-)

Nadine Fawell said...

Sorry about the dark last days of winter! It's very very hot in my parts. I have late-summer blues, or something, but on balance I choose my weather over yours!
Hang in there, knit something yellow!