Sunday, March 30, 2008

Cap-py birthday

Happy Birthday brutha!


Last Friday my big bro turned thirty...ah, something and I knit him a new hat to mark the occasion.

PATTERN: Struan by Ysolda Teague
YARN: Berroco Ultra Alpaca in colour # 6287 Denim Mix
NEEDLES: 3.75 addi lace needles

I completely stressed over the sizing knowing my brother has an unusually large noggin. He claims this giant head is necessary to contain his giant brain. Seeing as it's his birthday and all, I'll let that one go.

The hat is knit from the top down, which made it a perfect pattern for altering size, and altering size I did. After completion, I got the b.f. to try it on and it looked, well, big. Really big. Not Mushmouth big, but large enough to be silly. Now, I knew that my brother's aforementioned giant noggin would probably fill it out a little more, but it still had me worried. I ripped it back half an inch and finished the hem again: Still funny looking. I ripped some more: Nice! It looked only slightly large on the boyfriend, silly-large on me - I had high hopes. Unfortunately, judging by these pictures, I underestimated the gargantuan proportions of my sibling's skull. I still think it looks cute on him anyway and hey, I can always make it bigger.


By the way - trying to get your brother to pose for a picture while he's hopped up on all-you-can-eat sushi and birthday cheer? Quite the effort:

(Apologies to Cathy for inadvertently blogging you without permission)

Luckily my inanimate styrofoam head is a model impervious to both sushi and cheer of all kinds:





So, my brother got a new hat, I got a new cold. This weekend has been spent marinating in my bathrobe and destroying the rainforest with my kleenex consumption. Today I completed the extraordinary feat of showering and putting on "real clothes". I thought it might make me feel better. Alas, no amount of shampoo or underwire can soothe the sole better than bad television, knitting and countless pots of herbal tea. Please excuse me, I believe the couch is calling.

3 comments:

The Nutritionista said...

Could I look more bored in the second photo. I was having a good time, I swear!

Reckless Glue said...

happy birthday Pat!~ the hat looks totally cute on him--
hope you're feeling better soon(test knit notes to come--likely tomorrow at work during my usual email-Julia-work-avoidance hour...)
you know, the hour of 9 to 5.

Macoco said...

I hope you feel better soon!

The hat looks fantastic on your brother. I think all brothers must have uncommonly large heads. My 4 bros all have huuuge heads!