Saturday, March 08, 2008

The Jenny Cloche



The Jenny Cloche is complete! Way back when, I offered to make my friend Jenny a replica of her favourite hat which was on it's last legs. A few tries later, I had it!


The hat is knit with double stranded Malabrigo in kettle dyes colour #80 (Azul Bolita). I know, quite the luxurious yarn choice! But when you have friends this divine? No expense can be spared dah-link!


I do plan on writing up the pattern for you all, but not after a few tweaks. Jenny is happy with her hat (thank god!), but I, of course, strive for perfection. This version is a little floppier than the original, making Jenny feel like Holly Hobby (a good thing in her books by the way - and mine, for that matter!). Methinks another prototype, and possibly another size option is on the agenda before this pattern gets launched into the knitosphere. (Seeing it's not so much an original pattern as it is a knock-off, it'll definitely be a freebie!)

On a sad note, my cat Selena is not doing so well. Just a couple of months after her surgery, her health is already declining. I took her to the vet this week after she started drinking lots of water and peeing willy-nilly. I also noticed a new lump behind her arm. The vet found two more. Now, armed with pills to help her kidney function, and special food to make sure she doesn't lose too much weight, I'm officially awaiting "the time". She's still happy and eating and comfortable, but the cancer is advancing more rapidly than originally expected. I have a list of symptoms to look out for, and at their advent, I'll have to put her down. I knew it was coming, I just didn't think it would be so soon! Special thanks again to everyone who donated to my Selena fund. The surgery may not have cured her, but it certainly gave her a little more time. Next time, I'm totally getting a robot cat that lives forever!

To boost my spirits, I treated myself to something I've been thinking about for a while now:


A ukulele! I'm not even going to pretend it's an original idea brought on by inherent quirkiness. I was inspired by her and the song in this and finally them. What better way to pass the time during yet another snowstorm than busting out a little piece of Hawaii?

11 comments:

The Happy College Knitter said...

That hat is fantastic! Very chic and vintage looking. I'm sorry to hear about your kitty, I wish i could beat up cancer, it just took my puppy too :(...

Congratulations on your ukulele purchase! It's so funny because "what a wonderful world" (the ukulele version) was on as I read about your pretty white one. I love the movie "the jerk" so if you can learn to play that song, you should definitely make a video or something. Now i have to go find that google video of that guy playing "my guitar gently weeps" on his ukulele in central park...

Reckless Glue said...

oh no, I am SO sad about Selena! We are in a similar situation with Poncho right now, and had to "rush" him to emergency when we found him unable to walk one day last week. He's old...I have a feeling the next year with him will be interesting, and are preparing ourselves that it will likely be his last. Still poor Selena, give her a scritch for me :(
The hat is gorgeous btw and Jenny looks awesome in it! I def. needs me one of those...

Macoco said...

I am so sorry to hear about Selena. That is such a painful situation to be in.

The hat looks fantastic though, I can't wait to see the pattern.

Christie said...

Oh, poor baby Selena! I'm sure she's happy to have more time with you too.

~xoxo to you both!

*karen said...

Wow. That is quite a stunning hat. I'm sorry to hear your cat is ill, though. My grandma had a Kamaka ukulele.

lekkercraft said...

The hat is great and very creative - I love that bright Malabrigo color. And the white ukulele(which is really hard to spell!). I've gone through the same thing with my cats in the past - it's hard to see a friend with such an illness. She's lucky to have you.

Anonymous said...

Love the hat (and the ukulele!). I have been reading your blog for a long time, and you always have something fab to show us. Keep it up!

ingrid said...

First, I am so sorry to hear about Selena. Here's hoping you can squeeze in some great memories in the time you have left with her.

Now the fun stuff: I love-love-love that hat! It is SO right up my alley.

And the ukelele!? My brother plays the ukelele! He was even featured in a ukelele festival!

Nadine Fawell said...

Hi Julia!

Sorry to hear about Selena - but you definitely did the right thing going ahead with her surgery. Will be thinking of you with love the next few months - keep knitting, it's sure to help the pain. And ukulele-ing...

Shannon said...

Mahala That!!

Gorgeous hat!

Shannon
(from SSK)

Stephanie said...

I love your hat --- it's amazing!

And the ukulele...it's the exact same one I have --- Mahalo that! I actually just got home from uke class --- tested out my new black strings, which rock...and look bitchin'.

Good luck with the ukulele!!