Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Let me eat cake

I should have listened to that little voice in my head. I didn't even bother finishing it. I got up to the neck and decided to try it on. Yup, the Borealis sweater makes me look like a house on stilts! Duh!

Is that you, Julia? Oh, no, it's just ramshackle beach dwelling. Oops!

Warning: if you do not posses model-esque proportions, this sweater may make you appear large and somewhat house-like! Side effects include crushing blows to ego.

Please don't say "I told you so". I knew what I was getting into. Tempted by a quickie knit and ignoring the laws of good sense, I decided the rules weren't going to apply to me and somehow this sweater would turn out smashing. (For the record, the sweater is smashing, just not on me). Therefore, This sweater is hereby sentenced to the back of my closet until such time as I feel fit to whip it out and have another stab at destroying my self esteem.

Is this a bad time to bring out a cake recipe? Why not, huh? Heck, if I'm going to look overweight, I'd rather do it by eating cake then wearing bulky sweaters! Actually, this cake is a little more guilt free than it's sugar-laden contemporaries (though sadly, still not calorie free!). Inspired by the delicious looking green tea cake Cara made, and the nutritional info gathered from Cathy and Jae, I present you my recipe mash-up!

MATCHA CAKE

I adapted this recipe from a vegan pound cake I found online. I changed it so drastically, that I think it's safe to say it's mine now! This cake is similar to coffee cake or pound cake in that it's dense and somewhat crumbly. If you use only spelt (or wheat) flour, the cake will be more moist and similar to banana bread in consistency. I've tried a lot of different variations, but this one is my favourite:

For the health nuts; omit the chocolate chips.
If you're not into "hippy food" this recipe might seem a little wacko. If you're willing to take the leap of faith, try out the new ingredients and you might be surprised!


Dry ingredients:

1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (grain sweetened preferred - I like Sunspire)
1 cup spelt flour (or whole wheat)
1 cup brown rice flour (or white rice flour)
4 tsps baking powder
pinch of salt
4 tbsp matcha (green tea powder, available in health food stores - pricey, but worth it!)

Wet ingredients:

1 banana (the riper the better)
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 (6 0z.) package soft silken tofu (must be "silken" style!)
3/4 cup Brown rice syrup (sometimes called "rice malt". I used Lundberg brand. Use maple syrup if you can't find it.)

Coconut oil or margarine for pan grease-age.

Doin' it:

Preheat the oven to 176 C /350 F. (I use my toaster oven - less energy wasted!)

In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients (or sift 'em if you're fancy).

Stir in chocolate chips. (Mmm...looks like mint-chip ice cream...)



In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients and blend until smooth (I used a hand blender, but you could use a standard blender, food processor, or even a fork or whisk if you're patient!).

Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until just mixed.


Pour into a lightly greased pan 9 inch loaf pan and tent lightly with tin foil*** (if you pull the foil tightly the cake will not have room to rise). Bake for 15 minutes, remove foil, and continue to bake for an additional 20-25 minutes. (Mine comes out well with a cooking time of 35 min. total).


(Pretend this is followed by a really nicely styled shot of a slice of cake on a plate. It was dark by the time we sliced it and not conducive to pretty food photography)

***A note about the foil. The cake has a tendency to brown too quickly and the top could burn if left unprotected. I think it has something to do with the tofu, but don't quote me on that.

So go! Bake! Eat! Be merry! (Just remember to stay away from the super-bulky sweaters and horizontal stripes before helping yourself to a second slice!)

5 comments:

The Happy College Knitter said...

Chunky knits are so frustrating. I usually feel like a mammoth in them, so you're definitely not alone! That cake looks yummy, maybe I'll get to make some when I'm back at home next week!

Reckless Glue said...

right, ok, so if that sweater looks bad on YOU, there's DEFINITELY no way *I'm* pulling it off. (which I guess is why I knit it in black an only black!) and yeah, I have not worn that thing since I took pictures of it for ravelry. It is definitely destined to be destroyed. I think I may even be done altogether with that new twinkle book. ok, maybe one more hat.
und dat cake looks yummy!
hey sidebar--weren't you a muff's fan? Kim Shattuk just commented on one of my flickr photos (the interenet is VERY small...)

Reckless Glue said...

alos, why has it NEVER occurred to me to bake things in my toaster oven?! (especially given that our dirty, dirty oven always sets off the fire alarm.
Julia you are a GENIUS!

donnac368 said...

Thanks for the recipe! I'm wheat and gluten intolerant, and I can handle a little spelt now and then, so this is a keeper!

Nadine Fawell said...

Sorry about your sweater misfortunes! I have gauge misfortunes with Twinkle yarn; I swatched for the evening shell and could only get gauge on 10mm needles - there has to be something weird about that. The knitting has its own mojo. Especially the chunky knitting.
That cake looks really fab!