Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Bamboo-zled

In the words I stole from Cathy, who claims she stole them from somebody else; "Oh, for Geez!"

I'm working so much overtime these days I don't know up from down. Somehow, I still know knit from purl, part due to my realization that all-work-and-no-knit-makes-Julia-an -intolerable-bitch. When I start to feel selfish about spending some time each day knitting, I remind myself a little knitting is better than showing up at the office with a blow-torch. Long story short: this scarf saved an innocent office building from reckless arson by an over-worked animator.


PATTERN: Lace Ribbon Scarf by Veronik Avery from Knitty Spring 2008
YARN: La Droguerie soie vegetale - bambou (bamboo yarn I bought in Lyon, France)
NEEDLES: 3.75mm addi turbo lace needles


I really loved knitting this scarf. Scarves usually get monotonous and boring, but somehow, this kept my interest all the way through. It didn't hurt that I had a deadline. I meant to have the scarf knit in time to wear to the Knitters Frolic and I just managed to do it - by the skin of my teeth! The morning of the Frolic I had this much to go:


I knit, I read the paper, I knit, I ate granola, I knit, I drank coffee, and miraculously:


I finished. (Note level of coffee in before and after shots)


Fully caffeinated, I got to wear a brand new knit to the Frolic. The whole ordeal was a self-imposed deadline, but let me tell you, I was certainly not alone. "Finish-for-Frolic" knits were rampant at the event. Fibre-fests are as much show-and-tell as they are fondle-and-purchase, no?

Oh yeah, and while I'm moaning about work stress, allow me to make an announcement. Drumroll please...

I QUIT MY JOB!!!

I'll be working until the end of May and then school's out for summer, baby! It's a little crazy as I don't have another job lined up but for the sake of my sanity I need a change. Here's hoping I'll land on my feet!

11 comments:

The Happy College Knitter said...

Okay okay okay:

The scarf = fantastic. love the color, the drape, and the pattern. greatness.

I too have to work knitting into my day to day life in order to keep from going crazy/forcing craziness onto others

Lastly, WOOHOOO for quitting a job that's not making you happy. In the long run, I'd imagine you'll be much much happier. Not to mention you have us to support you in the mean time. :)

whistlepeaknits said...

Yay! We can be non-soul-crushing employment hunting pals!

whistlepeaknits said...

Also: I'm an employment counsellor so if you'd like me to take a look at your resume I'd be happy to.

kgirl said...

Frolic looks awesome, especially against your gorgeous auburn tresses ;)

!*YAY*! for quitting your job! not the most responsible of things for me to say, I'm sure, but it sounded like it was consuming you.

and I can feel a perfect landing coming up, right around the next corner...

Reckless Glue said...

love it! and you're like Seinfeld--everything balances out, I'm sure you'll have a bigger and better job lickety split.

knitwit said...

Hello. =)

Congrats on completing a gorgeous scarf and quitting a yucky job.

Good luck in finding a new and (hopefully) better one. =)

Vaedri said...

Wow! Congratulations! I haven't yet had the nerve to leave a soul sucking job - I've just been lucky enough to move on naturally before I stuck a pencil through my eye. Best of luck with whatever comes next for you!

And that's a great scarf. :)

jacquieblackman said...

Glad you picked yarn over fire... at least in this scenario. LOVE your scarf! I meant to say something at the Frolic but I was so overwhelmed with the yarn fumes. I think you've inspired me to knit that scarf next.

Congrats on quitting your job! Now go throw your beret in the air (ala Mary Tyler Moore)!

Nadine Fawell said...

Great news! You will so land on your feet: anyone who has a god enough sense of self to know when enough is enough doesn't have to worry.

I think I need a scarf like yours. Need.

Michelle said...

gorgeous!!! I need to make one of these.

Monique said...

ooo congrats on leaving your job. sometimes you just have to jump in (or out?) with both feet, and I'm sure you will land safely.

I love the scarf - the purple looks absolutely fantastic on you!