Monday, April 14, 2008

It's a girl!

My first born pattern:
The Jenny Cloche is ready to take on the world! Want a copy? Email me, and/or send Paypal payment of $2 US to the address under "view my complete profile".

I am shocked and thrilled that this little pattern has generated so much interest already. I put the pattern in the Ravelry database yesterday, not realizing I would not be able to sell the pattern through Ravelry immediately. (We all know that Ravelry is a work in progress and I totally understand that not everything can be activated for everybody at every moment. God help us all if we overload the system an Ravelry blows up some day. The horror!).

Despite the absence of store or any sort of fanfare whatsoever, I have already sold THREE patterns! Sure, that might not sound like a lot to some, but I was worried no one would want to knit the pattern let alone pay for it. Which brings me to my next point.

If you're a regular over here at Knitteroo, you may recall I originally intended to offer this pattern for free. Well, after much deliberation and some great advice from even greater knitters, I have decided that would be selling myself short.

I had felt that it would be unethical to receive money for something that wasn't an idea completely original to me. This hat is a replica of a factory made hat. I work in the art/design world where copyright infringement is serious business. That said, it sure doesn't stop people from ripping each other off left right and centre. The onlu difference is they refer to it as "ripping off", they call it "inspired by". This is why we had to endure the torture of a slew of commercials using characters with Scottish accents after the success of Shrek. Can't you people come up with an original idea to sell gum? Cereal? Beer?!! But I digress.

I suppose things are a little different in the knitting world. I see patterns inspired by runway fashions all the time and I have no problem with that. So what's my issue? I suppose the question is where the line is drawn. It's a tough one.

In the end, after all the time I spent figuring out how to knit the hat, writing the pattern and designing the layout, I think maybe I do deserve a little something for the effort. But hey, to appease my humility; I'm sellin' cheap!

6 comments:

Reckless Glue said...

YAYYYYYY! and I just finished my THIRD version last night :) I made the samller size this round and it fits me like a glove (uh, a glove for my head) --great pattern, the re-wrire is poifect!

amy [Knitty] said...

mazel tov! it's gorgeous!

whistlepeaknits said...

Good for you! And good for Jenny for having such amazing skin - seriously, what a lucky lady!

CaThY . said...

THIS is what you should be doing for ever and ever...

Nadine Fawell said...

Congratulations! Clearly good design is good design, be it graphic or knitting...
And it is definitely OK to charge.

lekkercraft said...

congrats on your first self-published pattern! You totally deserve to charge for your talent :)