Monday, April 07, 2008

Swapping: the new shopping

If you haven't participated in a clothing swap, I highly recommend it. I recently scored some barely used heels and an awesome pink vintage trench at a swap Cathy hosted. To ice the proverbial cake, I discovered another swap within the very same week. Last Sunday the Workroom and City of Craft hosted a craft swap! I unloaded a big 'ole bag of under-appreciated yarn and fabric and exchanged it for this meaty haul:

The goods, clockwise from bottom:

1 -A couple of peacock feathers soon to become earrings. A couple of months ago I bought myself a pair of peacock feather earrings and promptly left one somewhere between King and Church and Kensington market. Should you find a stray peacock feather in this vicinity, please return to P.O. box...
Serves me right, really. What am I doing buying things I can make myself?

2 - You know I can't resist a vintage knitting booklet when I see one, so I could hardly pass up Patons gloves and mitts. Nothing too wacky in there, just good, solid handwear. (Is handwear a word? It sounds wrong. And somehow...dirty)

3 - Two silky fabrics destined to become the infamous Simplicity 4077 :

I'm a big fan of view "D" (bottom modeled pic). I've never sewn buttonholes before. Pray for me!

4 - Last but not least; YARN! After ransacking the yarn table, I managed to narrow my choices down to just two skeins. I tried to take something I may actually use rather than going the omigod-it's-free-yarn-take-as-much-as-you-can-carry route. It's a nice single ply, bulky yarn I suspect is to be a wool/mohair blend. Judging by the shape of the skein I'm ruling out Lamb's Pride bulky, but it's definitely similar. Anyone have an idea what it might be?

2 comments:

Reckless Glue said...

nice haul! I don't dare get back into sewing too...it might kill me. But I love that pattern too, and all those "built by wendy" simplicity patterns I've been eyeing for a while as well. I'm hoping to score all of them as a lot on ebay someday.

knitography said...

That purple yarn looks quite a bit like Lopi.