Sunday, May 11, 2008

Lazing on a sunny afternoon

Ah, the weekend. If there is one thing I'll miss about having a 9-5 job, it's the exhilarating feeling of freedom that comes with the weekend. Nothing makes Saturday feel better than Monday through Friday spent in a cubicle. I celebrated my Saturday freedom with brunch and a little sock knitting:


I brought this poor little sock out from hibernation recently, deciding it should live in my purse instead of the bottom of the stash. As a result, it's actually getting knitted. Fancy that! Though I seem immune to sock knitting fever, I do agree that they make good travel projects.

During said brunch with m'lady Cathy, we got to talking about washcloths. (Not your usual topic of conversation over eggs and coffee but believe it or not it came up) I love knitted cloths for washing dishes yet have never knit one - quite a shocker for Cathy as she swears the washcloths she does her dishes with were in fact, knit by me. (I told her she can continue to tell people I knit them, as long as they look nice). Later that afternoon I decided to do something about this washcloth situation:


Nothing beats a little cocktail and some outdoor knitting on a sunny afternoon! And what's that in the background?


I "accidentally" went into Lettuce Knit and lord knows I can't leave that place empty handed. I finally picked up the latest Vogue Knitting, and got myself a copy of the Knitting Workshop to boot. I figured it's about time I jumped on that Zimmerman bandwagon!

But back to the washcloth:


Cute, no?

PATTERN: Flower Power washcloth from Whimsical Knitting Designs
YARN: Blue Sky organic cotton in "sage"
NEEDLES: 4.5 mm
NOTES/MODS: The pattern includes three different instructions for decreasing the centre section and I used the "spiral" instructions. If I hadn't had this yarn leftover from a past project, I probably wouldn't have used it because it's just too darn nice! The cloth ended up being a lot larger than I anticipated and I now realize this pattern is probably meant to be a face-cloth not a dish-cloth. Regardless, the pattern is very simple and quick and I'll definitely be knitting more of these. But this one? Far too soft and lovely to be scrubbing my dishes! I'm going to put it away to have on hand for a gift. A nice soft washcloth with some schmancy soap? Who wouldn't want that? Actually, that would make a good mother's day gift, non? Don't forget to call your mummies today!

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, MUM!

4 comments:

kgirl said...

cute, yes!

Reckless Glue said...

how bizarre. I also knit a washcloth this weekend. What's up with THAT?

Macoco said...

Totally cute washcloth!

CaThY . said...

Yeah the ones I have are not nearly as stylish so of course they weren't made by you.
So...uhm... do I get one?