Saturday, June 28, 2008

La Belle Province

I went to Montreal!
And when in Montreal, there are a few things one must do.

• Eat a bagel!

(***note: if you're a meat eater, this step may be swapped and/or supplemented by the eating of a smoked-meat sandwich, preferably from Schwartz's)

Now I know New York claims to make a good bagel, but I must say, I've tried both and as far as I'm concerned Montreal wins hands down.

•Regard modern architecture!


The photo doesn't do it justice, but this is "Habitat 67" built for Expo '67 (though you may be more familiar with it's supporting appearance in Blades of Glory)

•Visit the "distrobo" at Casa del Popolo (cigarette machine re-jigged to sell zines, demo tapes and various other curiosities)

•Have a nice meal:

•Climb the mountain: (Mount Royal, Mont Royal, Montreal...get it?)

Um ..., so the only pictures I have of this trek are of the graveyard up there (really, I'm not goth or anything!). Pretend I took this instead:


Much better.

•Shop! Okay, so considering I'm unemployed self-employed, I tried to reign this one in a little. I suppose I should have tried a little harder as I somehow ended up with 3 new dresses. (Heh-heh, mid-season sales!) I can however find some solace in having found some cheapie beads in a thrift store:

Note the price-tag: 25 cents, yo!


So where's the knitting, knitteroo?

Despite swearing off new yarn purchases forever for the near future, I felt it was only polite to at least visit a yarn store. I chose Ariadne, where I was struck with a sudden and acute case of camnesia. Despite lack of photographic proof, I assure you Ariadne is a very charming and well-heeled yarn shop well worth visiting. True to my word, I did not buy any yarn, though I didn't exactly leave empty-handed:

I don't see this so much as a purchase of whimsy, but an investment in raw materials for the production of future hand-made gifts. (Yeah okay, so yarn could fit in the same category, but just go with it.)

I do have a little more Quebec-centric knitting content to share, but at the risk of turning this into a marathon post I shall save it for another day. Stay tuned for the next installment of Knitteroo goes to Montreal: Tricot haute couture!

3 comments:

Reckless Glue said...

mmmmmmm chu chai!

Nadine Fawell said...

mmmmmm Bagel!

Knit & Purl Mama said...

Ahhh! You were in my neck of the woods! Montreal bagels rock. Best in the world.

Ariadne is definitely a lovely shop, I love the ladies there!