Saturday, July 26, 2008

G’day I’m from the valley!

Yes, that’s the slogan of my home-land, the Ottawa valley, where I’m currently relaxing in a cabin by a lake deep in the Canadian shield. While I’ve lived in Toronto for 12 years and definitely consider myself a city girl, at least once a year I need to grab the bugs spray and see if I remember to paddle a canoe.

Or, er, at least try to channel my inner Carly Simon with a big floppy hat and sunglasses.
While the rain this week has kept us out of the canoe, it has provided ample knitting time by the fire. As any good knitter would, I packed more projects than I could ever hope to knit in the two weeks I'll be here; Kate Gilbert's Bird-in-the-hand mittens, Ysolda’s Rose Red beret and three (yes, three) sweater projects. Tee-hee!

The first sweater project is the previously blogged Phildar “poncho sweater”. I deeply resent the use of the word “poncho” in this sweater's description. To me, a poncho is a patchouli-stinking rag one would wear to a drum circle in the park. This is NOT something I would want to knit. Perhaps the Phildar folk have lost a little something in the translation. Whatever you call it, it sure hasn’t made much progress:



After knitting 3 inches of ribbing for what I thought was a sleeve, I came to realize I was actually knitting the bottom ribbing for the front of the sweater. Despite getting gauge with my swatch, (dang lying swatches!) it looked like the sweater was going to turn out a little on the small side. Enh? Easy come, easy go. I ripped it out and started over. It's now my official "awaiting-my-turn-in-Scrabble" knitting.


So far I am the reigning cottage champion. Sadly, I can't say the same for Trivial Pursuit.


I swear the b.f. is like Rainman when it comes to pop-culture trivia. Just when I think I've got him beat he'll come out with the answer to some wacky question like "What colour of bow-tie did Steve Urkel wear to the senior prom?".

I'm crossing my fingers my other sweater project will turn out okay, because so far, I LOVE it.



This is the Mirasol Miski baby llama I "accidentally" bought at the Knitter's Frolic. Look at that fuzzy halo!


I'm using the free "relaxed pullover" pattern from Vogue Knitting and making a few tweaks. Wish me luck!

One more week of country living to go. Excuse me, I think it's beer o'clock...

5 comments:

yarnismycrack said...

Those are the most fantastic sunglasses! I must know where you got them!

CaThY . said...

only hardcore bloggers blog on vacation...
Breath in fresh air and poke the fire for me!!!

Reckless Glue said...

ooh, now that looks like a sweater you'll get some wear out of!

Julia said...

I got my glasses at a thrift store - glad you like them!

dawn said...

I totally suck at trivial pursuit of any sort. The knitting looks very pretty.