Saturday, July 05, 2008

Great lengths

If you're a Reckless Glue fan (as you should be!), this post may give you a distinct sense of deja-vu.

I present to you my finished knit grocery bag, filled with lovely fresh produce:



And here we have it, displaying the effects of gravity.

It's the amazing elastso-bag! Stretches to lengths beyond human imagination!

This was a project born of a need to knit from stash and completed with blind determination. Perhaps I should start listening to that little princess in my head that says things like; "This yarn is yucky!" and "Knitting this is no fun!" and "This bag looks icky!".

PATTERN: Elisa's nest tote from the Purl Bee
YARN: GGH Safari in colour # 36
NEEDLES: 3.25 mm
NOTES/MODS: I substituted the "veil stitch" pattern from Barbara Walker's Treasury (the 1st book) and cast on the same number of stitches from the original pattern. I knit the bag in the round from the bottom up, splitting into two sections after about 12". From there I knit each section back and forth in stockinette for two inches. I finished the edges and added handles with applied i-cord as in the Elisa tote.

Despite knitting in the round using the magic loop method, I got ladders like nobody's business. Big honkin' fire-truck worthy ladders! Being so accustomed to knitting with wool and animal fibres, this linen business really threw me for a (magic-ha!) loop. I ended up crocheting a seam up each side to try to disguise the ladders and help with the sagging. I can't say it made a remarkable improvement, but it makes the bag look a little neater.

So, over-all I'd give this project a "C minus". It was a bit of an experiment on my part, so I'm not exactly shocked that it didn't work out so well. On the other hand, I learned how to handle knitting with linen (or rather, how NOT to handle knitting with linen). Plus, I learned how to knit applied i-cord. Applied i-cord rules!

I don't think I'll be using this bag much unless I fuss with it a bit more and that can wait. I just finished fussing and fixing my last slightly imperfect FO. New, improved Ms.Marigold pics soon!

1 comment: