Sunday, August 17, 2008

Etseroo!

Once in a while people see fit to tell me what I should be doing with my life. Despite feeling somewhat directionless when it comes to choosing a career-path, I tend to ignore them. It's either a knee-jerk reaction to being told what to do, or a roll-the-eyes-of-course-I've-already-thought-of-that-and-systematicaly-rejected-it thing. The latter is precisely the reaction I had whilst brunching with my favourite (okay, and only) sibling;

Him: I saw this thing on Martha Stewart the other day? Eeety? Or Etree or something? It's like ebay for crafts? Anyway, you should totally do that!

Me: Um, yeah. You mean "Etsy"? I already had an Etsy store like, two years ago? Don't you ever listen to me? When I had that silkscreen business?

Him: Oh. Well you should totally do it again. Martha might buy it!

Alright, so I'm paraphrasing and casting my brother in a poor light (my blog, my lights), but you get the drift. I've also had a couple of conversations with other friends and neighbours that went something like this:

Friend: You have so much cool old shit! You should totally open and store and sell this stuff!

Me: Yeah, that's really hard. Do you know how much overhead costs? And the competition? I don't even have a car! Excuse, excuse, blah-blah-blah!

I really need to learn to just shut up and listen sometimes:

www.thriftorious.etsy.com.

(Deals for blogger friends if you email!)

3 comments:

The Happy College Knitter said...

Doesn't that statistic say it takes 7 times to actually learn something? That being the case, you're actually ahead of the curve!

Cute store btw...

Reckless Glue said...

had I known that poodle was going to wind up on etsy I probably would have taken her home with me in the first place! Ah well, one more thing to pack I suppose. I thought it seemed like you were going a little crazy buying stuff...

Sherral said...

Congrats on the new store. Looks like fun!