Sunday, September 28, 2008

This, That and the Other Thing

THIS is my third, final and thankfully, successful attempt at downsizing the Gretel beret pattern:

Next to my worsted weight Gretel for size comparison.

PATTERN: Gretel by Ysolda Teague - "regular" version
YARN: "mystery" DK weight Swedish yarn acquired in a swap
NEEDLES: 3.25mm for ribbing, 4mm for the rest


Lucky for me, the new size fits Cathy's noggin' perfect! (Don't think you're getting away without sending me a picture of that beret on your head there, lady)

THAT is where I'm going to be selling some Jenny cloche hats I'm knitting (Shameless self-promotion alert!). Knitting for profit is a new endeavour that I'm still unsure about. The owner/proprietress of Shopgirls believes in getting artists and designers a fair price, and caters to a higher end market, but I have my reservations. Will I really be able to sell hand-knit hats for the astronomical (in my view) price that I will need to charge to make them worth my time? I'm going to knit up about half a dozen and see how it goes. You never know unless you try, right?

THE OTHER THING is this season's first x-mas knitting project: Argyle socks!

I'm knitting the top left ones.

I haven't decided yet whether these will either be for my brother or my Dad (They have the same shoe size - lucky me!). After knitting a couple of chunky weight hats, these socks feel like an exercise in patience.

So very wee!

I'm using a pattern from a Patons book I picked up at a thrift store somewhere. It's actually got a lot of nice socks and gloves in it, almost a miracle considering it must date from the eighties. Oh yeah, and I have an extra copy of the same book in my Etsy shop. (Shameless self-promotion alert!) Anyhooz, the argyle pattern is charted quite nicely, which I'm hoping will ease the eye strain that is sure to ensue from knitting black yarn on 2mm needles. Argyle has been on my to-knit list for ages - I hope I can master it! Argyle rules!

2 comments:

Reckless Glue said...

I also have argyle socks in my queue...you know, apart from those fingerless mitts I really haven't knit him anything. worst. girlfriend . ever.
I love how those two berets look together.

CaThY . said...

I am wearing the beret RIGHT NOW!