Thursday, October 30, 2008

New York, New Yarn 2008

Whew! I just flew in from New York and boy, are my arms tired! ( Sorry, I couldn't resist.) Actually, I flew Porter from Toronto to NY this time and I can't recommend it enough.

Complimentary beverage and snack on an hour and a half flight? Yeah!

For those outside of of the G.T.A, Porter is a tiny little airline that flies from the tiny Toronto Island Airport just a tiny ferry ride from downtown. Everything about the experience was very pleasant and civilized, which is quite the opposite of most airline experiences (um, is there any wonder Zoom no longer exists?). Plus, the flight attendants have pillbox hats. Pillbox hats!

Anyhooz, I didn't just knit on the plane, I went to New York city, baby! I knit at the Gershwin hotel, where I strongly approved of the photos in the hallway:

Excuse me? We're trying to have a conversation here!

I did a bit of knitting in Little Italy with some espresso and a cannoli:

...and did absolutely no knitting at the WFMU record fair. If anyone knows of a way to flip through a crate of records whilst knitting, please let me know.

(If you're not into records, just squint and pretend it's a fibre festival)

I did however spend a lot of time walking around Manhattan carrying my knitting. While the other tourists were taking pictures of the Empire State building (been there) and Times Square (done that) I found myself taking pictures of stuff like this:


Um, isn't weird that I find more varieties of Canada Dry in America than Canada?

And how about this?


I couldn't find a single trace of John McCain anywhere. New Yorkers - god bless 'em!

And in typical New York style, their flatiron building insists on being taller and thinner than our flatiron building;




(Though in typical Toronto style, ours is probably cleaner and more apologetic.)












Look at me, prattling on about soft drinks and architecture when I should be telling you about Habu and School Product and Purl (oh my!). Next post, I promise. Cliffhanger!

2 comments:

Reckless Glue said...

lemon lime gingerale?! yes, me want!
welcome back :)

Reckless Glue said...

in other news, I am actually wearing a pillbox hat as I type this...
(it's halloween yo!)