Saturday, November 01, 2008

New York: the Yarn

What does a yarn store employee do when let loose in Manhattan? Why visit other yarn stores, of course!

First stop, the ever-charming Purl in Soho.

This is where I encountered my first celebrity:

"Oh my god! It's the Lace Rib cowl!" I fondled many a yarn here, marveling at my new-found ability to recognize familiar yarns from twenty paces. In the end, I picked up a couple of lovely skeins of Farmhouse Yarns:

On the right is Andy's Merino in "Seabreeze" and on the left is Lumpy Bumpy yarn by Charlene. As if the colours weren't enough, how can you resist these labels?

Look at wee Charlene! How can you say no to a face like that? Of course, I've only just got around to knitting the yarn I got at Purl two years ago, but hey, at least I've got a pattern in mind for this stuff. Wouldn't the lumpy-bumpy make a great Urchin?

Next I headed to Habu and School Products, conveniently located a few blocks from my hotel (I swear I didn't plan it that way). I went to School Products intent on finding cashmere and was not disappointed.


I picked up two skeins of yummy tweed cashmere. It may look rough and tumble but trust me, it feels like buttah!

I'm now kicking myself for buying two skeins in two different colours. I thought I could get one hat per skein, but it may be a little tight. Oh well, there's always the stripe option... or I could just use it as a pillow. Mmm...cashmere pillow...

Last but not least, my first trip to Habu!


So much weird, wild stuff! I sorted through the skeins of yarn made from paper, pineapple and actual fishnets(!), to find something complimentary to knit along with the Habu bamboo I got at the Knitter's Frolic last spring. I ended up with what almost everyone seems to buy from Habu:

Stainless steel / wool knit together with bamboo? It should prove interesting.

So that's the haul, and none of it counts because it's vacation yarn, right? Now that I'm back at home, I'm trying to hunker down and knit a few more hats to sell at Shopgirls and then it's jingle all the way to x-mas knitting. Eeek!

1 comment:

Reckless Glue said...

nice haul! fishnet yarn--say whaaaaaaaaaaatttttt?