Sunday, December 21, 2008

Holiday Romance

Wrapping things up for the holiday season here at casa de Knitteroo. Is the gift knitting complete? Is it the 25th yet? Well then of course it's not finished! I'm fairly certain the (godforsaken) argyle socks will be done in time for Santa day and my excuse list will remain just a back-up plan. Heck, the way the weather is faring these days I might even get an extra "snow day" to stay home and knit. Have you not heard? Toronto has been hit by the first wave of what the meteorologists are dubbing "snowmaggedon".

Oh, hello! What's this lying in the snowdrift that was once my summer patio oasis? The "Pat hat"! This is a little number I've been working on as both a Christmas gift for my brother (Pat) and as a pattern that can get a nice hat out of a skimpy amount of yarn. I plan on writing up the pattern for sale on Ravelry, though I'll wait to see how well it actually fits. Then there's test knitting and photos and layout and yadda-yadda-yadda.

Oh my, and what's this over here?


Have you ever developed a crush on a ball of yarn? (You know you have issues when...) This Rowan Romance is a discontinued yarn that was living in the Romni bargain basement (hence the unsightly sale price scrawled on the label). I'm not normally a fan of the sparkly yarns, but there is something about this one that appeals to me. In fact, I frequently visited it's basement home, checking how many were left, admiring it's bulky fuzz. It wasn't until the threat of it's extinction closed in, (ie: the impending boxing day sale) that I actually took a ball home. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it (this is the last ball of this colour!) but I feel better now that it's moved in with me. Sigh. Thank goodness I'm preaching to the choir because this sort of behavior really does make me feel like a lunatic. Happy holidays!

3 comments:

Reckless Glue said...

oh man this whole snowmageddon thing has been such a joke. Since when is 15-20 cms worthy of "snowmaggedon"?! Definitely not around these parts. I've taken to adding "maggedon" onto the ends of all words..."lunchmageddon", "christmasmageddon", "workmaggedon". It's very satistfying. Snowmageddon was almost as good a newsworthy title as "Palin's daughter's boyfriend's mother arrested". WTF?? lame lame lame

Reckless Glue said...

ok wait, someone just informed me that you guys got more snow that us...
sympathies.

Julia said...

Nothing beats the Toronto Sun headline from the Pope's visit a few years back: Pope-a-palooza!