Monday, March 30, 2009

Go-go garter stripes!

Eat your heart out Paul Smith!


Pattern: CO 352 sts, Knit every row, EZ sewn BO, tie ends as fringe - done!
Yarn: Drops Alpaca colour #0618, La Droguerie Alpaca (from scarf kit)
Needles: Addi Turbo Lace 3.75mm 100cm

Mmm...stripey. This was so easy and satisfying. Once in a while I really need to bang out a garter stitch somethin-or-other just to remind myself that knitting does not have to be "work". Besides, pretty stylish for a garter stitch scarf, enh?

The biggest pain in the posterior was the bind-off. Working side to side instead of end to end, I really wanted the bind-off to match the cast-on edge. What matches a long-tail cast on? The Elizabeth Zimmerman sewn method works pretty well... unless you have THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY stitches to bind off! What's the problem? For those that have never used the technique, it requires one to cut off a length of yarn THREE TIMES as long as your work, then work that long tail through your stitches one by one (see link for exact details). It's a pretty simple technique and looks great when completed, though takes eons. It took two evenings to bind-off this puppy! Perfectionist? Me?

Well, heck, it's worth it for this guy:

I sincerely hope my brother doesn't tire of hand-knit gifts any time soon!

6 comments:

whistlepeaknits said...

This looks so great! Almost woven. I made one years ago but should really do another.

Reckless Glue said...

oh god i LOVE it! also, you and I are totally in the same monday=blogtime routine these days I think. Whenever I hit post I immediately see a new one from you. great minds....

subliminalrabbit said...

that's one hot scarf. seriously.

Fran said...

what a great scarf. I really want to try something like that with all my odd pieces. Thanks for the info on the bind off.

nadinefawell.net said...

Oh, that is lovely!
Garter stitch really has its place...
Wish I could get out of my knitting slump. Not even Twinkle is getting me excited. Perhaps it's still too hot in the Southern Hemisphere.

Fox said...

Wonderful scarf Julia! It worked out beautifully!
Fox