Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Hunch-back of Notre Hibou

The curse of the Alaska yarn has been lifted!


Patio pictures are back! Now if only I could take a self-timer
picture where I don't look vaguely pissed off.


I believe the gods were appeased with my penance of the sewing-on of forty-two buttons:

I think the button-sewing took longer than the sweater-knitting.

Pattern: What, you don't know? OWLS by Kate Davies. Do you live under a rock?
Yarn: Previously cursed Drops Alaska (colour #51 - dark olive)
Buttons: Vintage wooden things
Needles: 5 & 5.5mm addis
Notes/mods: Knit an XL size with finer gauge - a total gamble and it worked - whee!

This sweater's a winner except for the odd bunching I'm getting in the back. It's not quite clear in this picture, but I get a bit of a hunchback thing going on above the waist shaping. According to Ravelry I am not alone in this issue. If I were to knit it again I would definitely put the waist shaping at the sides. (Why are they at the back anyway? And how did other people avoid the hunch-back? Do I have an abnormal back?) I blocked it twice to try to remedy the situation but it's still a little poufy. I'd just wear it backwards if the neckline didn't dip in the front to give it away. I guess I'll have to learn to live with it. Or grow a hump... or back-breasts? Ew!

9 comments:

Reckless Glue said...

looks fab!!!

subliminalrabbit said...

aww, too bad about the back-bunching! because it's SO cute from the front!

Abby said...

Awesome job, it looks great on you. =)

Christie said...

So cute! Great job and the third time was definitely the charm!

véronique said...

Très beau ce pull . J'adore. Bravo!

Miss Becca said...

That turned out beautifully!!! And I would definantly refrain from back boobs... ewwww... LOL

Emma said...

It looks great! Too bad about the back - but it doesn't look too bad in the picture.

I am so in love with this pattern.

Knitterista said...

so so cute! that is one of the best patterns...don't know if I'll ever tackle it, but looks adorable on you!

TattingChic said...

What a beautiful sweater! It looks great! :)