Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Colour me good

Too much choice can be overwhelming. When I didn't have cable, I could always find something to watch. Four television channels takes the job of channel surfing from endless ocean to wading pool; French channel? Je ne parle pas. Soap opera? Nah. Cooking show? Maybe... Simpson's re-run? Bingo! Limited options can be a blessing. Unfortunately, I spend a lot of time surrounded by 6000 square feet of yarn.

This makes my colour choices for my Snowdrop Jacket tricky. My original contrast colours were chosen under the "no cable" situation: the yarn (Lana Grossa Cool Wool 2000) was on sale and colour choices were limited. Then I discovered Filatura Di Crosa's Zarina is virtually identical yarn and suddenly I was looking at "HD Digital cable with on-demand".


I'm paralyzed by choice. Help a girl out!

From Top Left:

1 - Deep orange & Teal (I'm leaning toward this one)
2 - Cranberry red & Purple (my original choice)
3 - Deep Purple & (nearly impossible to photograph) Mustard yellow
4 - Teal & Cranberry red
5 - Rust Orange & Bright Orange
6 - Teal & Mustard yellow (can you tell I like teal?)
7 - Pink & Peach (2 colours I never wear that I'm throwing in just for kicks. Think of it as the "home shopping network")
8 - Teal & Deep Purple

And those are just the combinations I photographed! The main colour is a grey/olive green/khaki sort of hue - Cool Wool 2000 #534 (gotta love that futuristic-sounding "2000" tacked on the end!)

Remember, this is what I'm knitting:

I'm convalescing with a bit of a cold (no swine flu jokes please) which mean ample knitting time. I need to make a decision before I get to the pockets!


12 comments:

whistlepeaknits said...

I like 2, 3 and 6 but I'm not the best with colour.

Christie said...

That's a hard one. I think that you really have to ask yourself what kind of feeling are you going for with it. Are you wanting something subdued or something flashy? Also, what are you planning on pairing it with?

I like 1 and 8 for something on the brighter side. Subtle, I like 5 and 6.

subliminalrabbit said...

orange and teal!

minknits said...

I'm loving the #1 color combo!

ingrid said...

I like combos #3 and #6. There's something about that yellow.

knitography said...

Definitely number 4!

Samantha said...

I'm a slut for teal and think any of the oranges would be a nice contrast and together they would pop against the main color which I'm having to conjure up in my head.

Fox said...

Ohhh, I really like that orange and
yellow - third down left column..... yum. : )

Elizabeth said...

Either 1 or 5 - orange is awesome with neutrals. And Zarina is a fabulous yarn to work with.

kgirl said...

hee, everyone is offering different opinions - tipping it's not making it any easier to decide!!

for what it's worth, I reckon rust orange and bright orange could work well with grey/olive green/khaki main colour?

i'd be colouring a section of graph paper the base colour and adding a couple of stripes of different combos to it, see how they look...

Reckless Glue said...

deep purple & mustard yellow?
I was always a deep purple, purple passages fan myself.
Just avoid anything sgt. pepper-esque.

jacquieblackman said...

#1 all the way, baby!!