Sunday, May 10, 2009

Crotchety Crochety

The jury has spoken:




To be honest though, I may have chosen
teal and orange no matter what the results!
Muah-ah-ah!
These little "snowdrops" are deceptively easy
and fun after all that AT SAME TIME nonsense!


Thanks for all the input folks! I find it truly hilarious that there was hardly any consistency with the votes.

Though I've been trying to remain project-monogamous in order to get this jacket knit before the heatwaves of summer... there's been a bit of an accident:


I don't know what happened! I got a bee in my bonnet one day about resurrecting forgotten crochet skills, then a certain someone kindly showed me how to hook a granny square and before I knew it all hell broke loose!

I suppose my definition of "all-hell-breaking-loose" is this crocheted Christmas ornament.

I think the knowledge was buried in the back of my grey matter somewhere just waiting to be dug up. You see, at the tender age of 13 I started making a granny-square vest (horrors!). I know the project was inspired by something I saw in a magazine (Seventeen?) but it never came to fruition. Apparently my mother KEPT this incomplete nightmare (must remember to photograph on my next visit home). I seem to recall a lot of black combined with primary colours. Eeek!

The 'hooker' in me returned with a vengeance, as did my mild distaste for the granny square motif. Wait now, allow me to explain. You see, my granny (yes, I actually called her 'granny') used to crochet giant blankets in completely insane colour combinations. God love her, she was a fantastic grandmother, but her colour sense lacked a certain, um, 'je-ne sais quoi'. Her penchant for combining red/white/green Christmas yarn with 80's neon yellow and 70's mustard has scarred me for life.

Solution? HEXAGON!


The slightly more complex shape pleases me to no end. I know there are beautiful examples of granny-square goodness out there, but it's gonna take this girl a little time to heal, okay?

4 comments:

subliminalrabbit said...

you went right with those colors! and crochet? *gasp*

Anonymous said...

I am CONVULSING with laughter. After a good, solid moment of sputtering! I cannot believe it! That is great news....

xxooxx a certain someone........

minknits said...

I am LOVING the color combo! Looks lovely.

CĂ©line said...

I am in a granny square mood myself and since I tried crocheting with alpaca, I am hooked!