Sunday, May 03, 2009

The Name is Bond

Saturdays in general are pretty kick-ass. I get to sleep in, have a leisurely breakfast, read the paper and generally do whatever the bloody hell I want. This Saturday? It kicked ass like an ultimate fighter. Why you ask? RUMMAGE SALE!

The b.f. picked up a lamp that looks like some kind of Art Deco UFO:

We picked up some books too - I'm saving Coffee Tea or Me for cottage reading.

And me? I found something I've been hoping to find for ages:


Boo-yeah! That there is a Bond knitting machine people! Not that the guys at the church sale had any clue. Our conversation went something like this:

Me, palms sweaty, heart beating like a drum; "Um, excuse me? How much is this?"

Bewildered church volunteer; "I dunno. What is it?"

"It's a knitting machine." (Resisting the urge to use words like "duh" and "obviously")

"We didn't know what the hell that was. Do you know how much they are?"

"I have no idea" (Lying! To a church volunteer!)

"How's ten bucks?"

"Sure!"

I took my new friend home (the machine, not the volunteer) crossing my fingers all the parts were there and maybe, just maybe, it would come with instructions.


Score! Not only was it all there, it had never even been used! I spent the better part of the afternoon figuring out how to make the thing knit:

Looks more like a lap-steel than a knitting thing to me!

It knits!
It was fiddly and slow but I'm sure with some practice I'm sure I'll be cranking out rows of perfect little stitches. Whee! Suddenly all of those patterns that require endless stretches of stockinette stitch seem so much more appealing!

6 comments:

whistlepeaknits said...

Oh ma gawd. You are super lucky.

Erin sent me Coffee Tea or Me ages ago but I have yet to dive in. Maybe we can have a read along this summer in matching pastel polyester pant suits.

subliminalrabbit said...

okay, that is the most ridiculously AWESOME score EVER! so jealous!

Reckless Glue said...

too funny---I was going to bring you MY copy of coffee tea or me up to the cottage last year...(tho i think I brought you "I'm with the band" instead, didn't I?) In the end it became part of my halloween costume last year. Also it's terrible. in a good way. sometimes.

Never in a million years would I have the patience for a knitting machine.

Fox said...

Oh oh...... now you are in for it! Ask me sometime what happened when I bought such a machine - but I paid $75.00 and thought I had a great deal! And there no ecclesiastical overtones involved.....
: ) Fox

andrea said...

DANG!!! I cannot wait until the day this happens to me (fingers crossed).

Sel and Poivre said...

Here I am calmly catching up on blog reading....just floating along reading about yarn and patterns...la la la...and then this!!! $10.00!! Never used!?!I can't stand how fabulous is it that you scored a brand new knitting machine - that works - for ten bucks!