Friday, August 28, 2009

How much is that tree?

So we've established you can take the girl out of the country, but not the country out of the girl, right? I think perhaps the opposite is also true, as this girl was taken out of the city, full of boutiques and shopping malls and still managed to flex her spending power among the trees and lakes.

My little country spend-a-thon began visiting the 'rents in my hometown. I was lucky enough to land there on a Saturday for the town farmers market where lurking among the prize winning zucchinis and home made jam, I discovered a table full of crochet.

A lovely lady was selling her hand crafted wares, including teflon pot scrubbers. Say what? Crocheting with teflon? Why ever would one want to do such a thing? (She assured me she wore gloves.) Her prices were far too low for that kind of torture. I picked up a few granny-square dish cloths, you know, just to support my peeps.

Next up? I hit every thrift store in town...

A whole set of matching hotel ware from the 60's!

...and then every thrift store in every neighbouring town. He-heh! I won't bore you every little chotchkie I picked up, but here's the crafty business:


Button haul '09! I believe the haul of '09 is much better than button haul '08. I couldn't resist sorting them the minute we got back to the cottage.

Is it weird that my idea of a good time is relaxing with a tray of buttons and a glass of wine?

I also picked up a whole whack of vintage knitting and crochet patterns:

I'm amassing quite a library of these. I especially like the older ones:

I'm thinking of doing a regular once-a-week-ish post featuring vintage patterns. They really pack a lot of entertainment value! Besides, I think my knitting news might be a little bland in the next couple of weeks.

Yup, still entrelac. Still yellow. Slightly longer. This one may take a while.

See? I can support consumerism anywhere! Who needs malls when you've got farmers markets and charity shops?

5 comments:

whistlepeaknits said...

I think I could manage to spend my paycheque in the Siberian bush. It's a carefully honed skill.

Psyche Knits said...

I absolutely love getting vintage buttons! Since today's my birthday, I went to all the antique shops in town to peruse for things I wanted. After opening all my cards etc. I'm going to go back and pick up as many bags of buttons at I can! Enjoy your treasures!

Reckless Glue said...

I can ALWAYS find something to buy, no matter where I am. It's kind of a problem.

kgirl said...

I'd be keeping the location of that lake (and those thrift stores!) a secret if I were you - what a great haul!!

sounds like you're having a great time in the country :D

Sel and Poivre said...

I collect leafy patterned dishware for the cottage and I have two platters in that hotelware pattern - Its so fabulous! Also fab is your entrelac - I love it in the Malabrigo rather than the multicoloured versions one usually sees!