Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Love labours

Out of the three projects I've been working on lately, exactly three are for other people. What gives? Am I Santa Claus or something? Ghandi? Mother Theresa? Alas, it's not all selfless giving, though feel free to build a temple in my honour. The first project is something I've been meaning to do for months:


The original Jenny cloche, frogged and re-knit smaller. I wrote the pattern for two sizes, and Jenny (the girl, not the hat) was given the large-size prototype when a small would have been a better fit. Considering the hat knits up so quick and is named after her for chrissake... I probably should have got around to this a lot sooner. Of course, now I have to get around to giving it to her...

And who are these lovely new models?


These fantastic plastic ladies have moved in after losing their positions as wig models in Detroit. Long story... the recession..., you know what I'm talking about. I especially like the snooty look on Miss Thang here:

The models were gifts from my main man, so it was only fair I got around to finishing up something I started for him, in , oh... December.

Please excuse crap photo. The recipient is not around to model
and black knitting is next to impossible to photograph!


Okay, so it's not much to look at, but that there is what you'll find in the dictionary if you look up "labour of love".

Labour of Love: (ley-ber uhv luhv): noun
A hand-knit 1x1 rib, black, laceweight 100% cashmere beanie.

Started for Christmas, finished for an August birthday. My mother Theresa-like status is sinking by the minute.

But wait!


A big circle of double crochet, soon to be a bed for my kitty Teddy. Teddy is not well and I'm sure he could use a nice place to sleep. I won't get into the details, but he's got a hyper-thyroid condition. Crochet can totally cure that, right?

3 comments:

whistlepeaknits said...

If he doesn't bow down to you as soon as you bestow that cashmere hat please send it hither.

Sel and Poivre said...

As I read the description of the labour of love, given the picture above it, I was thinking the object was a laceweight, ribbed, black men's SWEATER! I was starting to hyperventilate until I finally saw the word "beanie" and my heart rate dropped back to normal! What a beautiful gift though! I must feel spectacular!

Jen said...

Hooray! Congrats on finishing the hat. I'm much impressed.