Thursday, August 06, 2009

Parting is such sweet sorrow

Yesterday marked my last day as an employee at Romni Wools.

No, I wasn't fired for pilfering cashmere! What have you heard?!?

Starting at the end of the month, I will be beginning a new job at a yarn company. Whee! Yes, if Romni was 'Yarniversity', I suppose I am now working on my masters degree. (Would that make sheep farming a PHD?). I'm gonna miss 'ye olde yarn hut', but you can bet I'll be visiting! My fellow employees sent me off with some gorgeous flowers, and naturally, I couldn't leave without buying myself some yarn. That yellow stuff up there in the corner? Three skeins of Malabrigo worsted (mmmmmmalibrigo) in "Frank Ochre". A colour not for the faint of heart, but you can bet my ticker is in fine shape!

Not only am I leaving a job, but I'll be leaving town for couple of weeks. (Again - Whee!) Two glorious weeks at a cottage in the middle of nowhere. I can't wait! I've spent far too much time fretting over what knitting to bring. What if I change my mind? What if I get bored of my projecst? Omigod, what if I run out of yarn? There aren't any yarn stores in the middle of nowhere! Can't I just bring my whole stash? Should I learn how to sheer a sheep just in case?

Here's the list as it stands now (we'll see what fits in the car!)

The definites:

- My 'other blog' project (It's a must. Ob-blog-gational knitting - har-har!)
- My new malabrigo (duh) to make an entrelac scarf (new skill to learn!)

The probablies:

- A sweater project I've been meaning to knit forever (with Rowan felted tweed)
- Knitty's aeolian shawl with my turquoise cone yarn (it's just a small cone)


The "I should probably leave at home's":

- Lopi socks (to line my wellies for winter)
- A freeform crochet scarf of my own design (It would mean six more skeins of yarn to pack!)

Off, to pack, but I've got one last FO for you:

I feel guilty enough leaving a sick cat behind while I go on vacation (don't worry, he has a sitter). The least I can do is leave him with a new place to sleep!


Pattern: Straight from my noggin'
Yarn: Drops Alaska left over from my Owl sweater (2-3 skeins I think)
Hook: 5mm

See you in a couple of weeks!

3 comments:

B. said...

In case you can't remember who coined the term 'Yarniversity', that was Moi.

But go ahead and steal it for your blog. I'm not bitter.

Sel and Poivre said...

Congratulations on your exciting new endeavours!

Delphine Roussel said...

Congratulations on your new job Julia!
All the best : )