Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Statement Necklace

Recently, my wonderful and talented friend Cindy came to visit. Cindy, the fabulous jewelery designer behind M.O.T.H. Metier , was in town for a bead trade show. Seeing her excitedly pouring over her strands of garnets and bags of pendants was all too familiar. Ever been to a fibre festival? A big sale at a yarn store? I knew exactly how she felt; anxious to use every new purchase immediately!

While a bead doesn't light my fire quite the same way a fine cashmere does, I have been known to dabble in beadery. My bulletin board always has at least one necklace or bracelet idea tacked up. With Cindy's contagious enthusiasm, I dusted off my box-o-beads and gathered my inspiration.

Inpiration #1:


Inspiration #2:

I love these earrings, but the weight of them makes
me feel like they're pulling my ears off!


After couple of hours of wrestling with pliers and jump rings I eventually had this:


I heart colour.


If you read fashion magazines you've probably heard the term 'statement necklace' . Statement is exactly what I had in mind when I made this piece though I have to laugh at the thought of jewelry literally making a statement. What does your necklace say Sara? "Oh, it says pro universal health care system!". How about you, Laura? "Mine says stop clear cutting our forests!"

Flava Flav's necklace says; "It's ten to twelve!"

My necklace says; "I match your whole wardrobe!"

5 comments:

Psyche Knits said...

Lovely necklace. I actually had something like this in mind with a mother of pearl heart that I found on the ground one day. As to why someone would throw that away... I have no idea. One woman's trash is another woman's treasure!

Fox said...

Ingenious! Very cool necklace!
Fox : )

Sel and Poivre said...

Isn't it funny how different materials "call to" and inspire some people while others are "deaf" to them? It always amazes me when people ask about my knitting for example, but then don't seem to need to touch it!

kgirl said...

love your statement ;)

Reckless Glue said...

eez awesome!