Monday, December 28, 2009

Holiday Wrap

Hey guys! You still there? I know it's been a long time. I'll try to make up for lost time with lots 'o knitting! It's a holiday wrap... not to be confused with holiday rap.

This year I decided to only knit for those that would truly appreciate a handmade gift. Sounds like common sense right? Well, maybe if you're a sane and rational person, but I whole-heartedly refuse to behave in either fashion. After years of gifting hand knits to those that would rather receive a Tim Hortons gift card, it took incredible restraint to slash my knit -gift list to nearly nuthin'. In the end, it saved me both time and heartache. Is there anything worse than sweating over a hand-made gift that barely gets a thanks? I'd rather spend my time knitting extra special things for extra special people!

Special person #1: Mum!

Mums are hard-wired to love any gift crafted by their children. It would have been a lot easier to
make her a macaroni necklace but these socks will do a better job of keeping her feet toasty.

Other Mums!

The b.f.'s mum, Maggi was gifted a pair of the same socks. Socks so nice I knit 'em twice! Perhaps I should have included instructions to wear them on your feet. Har-har!

Bro's!

This cabled pillow I knit way back when, has finally found it's home at my brothers house. The sad array of pillows on my own couch solidifies the fact that I knit many more nice things for others than I do myself. At least I can rest soundly knowing my bro can dispose of the sad, bedraggled pillow I knit him years ago as a less experienced knitter. ( I should have taken a picture of that old beast, but trust me; it's a atrocious.)

There wasn't just knitting under the 'ole tree this year either - we had the raw goods too!

My Mum fell in love with Patons Silk Bamboo at her local yarn store and picked up a few balls with no particular plan. She ended up deciding to make a granny square blanket and just buy more yarn as she went along. (I think Mum prefers fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants projects to meticulously planned ones.) With my Patons blog connections I procured enough yarn to keep her little hands busy all during the holidays. Yay!

With Mum re-stocked in the yarn department it was time to fill a few holes in my stash.

You give some yarn, you get some yarn. Mum picked me up some Noro and a great cherry red bag to put it in! She crocheted, and I spent a lot of time curled up on a sheepskin knitting a last minute gift:


More on that gift later. I hope you all had a great Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/Solstice/Whatever!

6 comments:

whistlepeaknits said...

Amen on the knitting for those who appreciate it. I'm finally starting to realize that my 18-year-old brother would rather have a grafittied hoodie that expresses his suburban angst than a nice warm hat.

subliminalrabbit said...

amongst everything else that is awesome in this post - that is one awesome pillow!

Sel and Poivre said...

I'm always amazed at how the high of successful gift knitting can be equal in intensity to the low of giving unappreciated hand knit gifts. Yet as you say, its so hard to stop at only giving to "appreciative receivers"!

Love, love, love that pillow - especially beside that lamp!

Reckless Glue said...

I know I appreciated MY Julia creation!!

kgirl said...

What a great set of knitted presents - so much better to give to those who LOVE them, as it looks like here :)

the cherry red bag is mighty fine, too!

Delphine Roussel said...

Beautiful work as always.
Pillow = A+ !