Saturday, January 16, 2010

Why fair isle tunics are like pancakes

I've been itchin' to start a sweater project for myself. To be more exact, I've been taken with the idea of knitting a sweater-dresses. A big commitment I know, and probably not something I'll get to wear until next winter, but a sweater-dress just seems like something my wardrobe could really use. Next thing you know, bam! Vogue Knitting comes to the rescue:



I fell head over heals with the Fair Isle Tunic by Jean Moss. A little colourwork, a little cable work, modern, cute... sign me up! I immediately got the yarn, in exactly the same shades no less.


Then something funny happened. Me and the fair isle tunic? We broke up. Somehow I totally lost interest in knitting this pattern that just last week, had me captivated. The whole experience reminds me of something Mitch Hedberg once said:

"As a comedian, you have to start the show strong and you have to end the show strong. You can't be like pancakes. You're all happy at first, but then by the end you're f**kin' sick of 'em."

Is this sweater like pancakes? Or did I just psych myself out? Contrary to good sense, I rarely read a pattern all the way through before I begin knitting. This time, curious about the construction, I decided to read the whole darn thing before even casting on a swatch. Dang man! It's a complicated pattern. I'm not afraid of a challenge, but I don't know if I want to take on a long project that requires so much concentration.

Where does this leave me now? Well, I've got a sweater-dress worth of yarn and a waning interest in a sweater-dress pattern. This is how stashes are born!

6 comments:

B. said...

Aw, c'mon. How hard could it be?

Douglas H. Kaye said...

I a hunnert precent a greed.
U'll look just like a gril!
A ferral gril at that.

whistlepeaknits said...

I hope you fall back in love with it because I think it will be super cute on you.

kgirl said...

how complicated is it? Like, is it a complicated construction, or a daunting read? because sometimes reading a pattern and knitting a pattern are two totally different challenges.

I reckon you can do it, yes you can! It is freakin' cute, and you down to a tee

Reckless Glue said...

just START it. It will look SO good on you.

Sel and Poivre said...

Yeah, that reading all the details in the pattern can really kill the thrill can't it!