Thursday, March 04, 2010

Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice.

Once upon a time, I was lucky enough to win 4 skeins of Twinkle Soft Chunky yarn. Though I adore big chunky yarn, it sure is difficult to pull off sweater-wise: a lesson hard-learned. After knitting most of a couple of sweaters that made me look like a morbidly obese "Where's Waldo", I decided this particular yarn would be best knit into accessories:


Pattern: Mobius Cowl from Bernat "Cold Front" booklet (purists will argue this is not a true mobius, but whatevs: it's twisted!)
Yarn: Twinkle Soft Chunky in Peacock Blue (possibly discontinued colour?) Not sure on the quantity as the yarn was re-used from a previous project. Perhaps two skeins?
Needles: 12.75 mm
Mods: I did some numbah-crunchin' and modified the pattern for my heavier yarn gauge.

Quick, easy, totally satisfying knit. Unfortunately, I didn't really factor in the spread of the stitch pattern combined with just how darn HUGE this yarn is. The weight of the cowl means it just keep on growing! Now, I'm not one to shy away from bold fashion accessories, but there is a line between bold and foolish. After a couple of outings, I began to feel like the cowl was eating my head. Your fashion statements shouldn't make you look like this guy:


I love a great big dramatic cowl, but I think this is destined to be re-knit. I'm not thrilled with the way the twist lies around the neck either. I do love me some shaker rib though, and will definitely use this pattern for a do-over! As usual, my heavy winter knits are being completed just in time for spring. Oopsie!

4 comments:

whistlepeaknits said...

The colour is gorgeous on you.

I think you and Cara need to team up for an all cowls all the time blog. You could knit them and reknit them for years and never run out of material.

Reckless Glue said...

It's gorgeous! and who are these uptight knitting "purists" to which you often refer? You need to stop being friends with those jerks ;)
Truly, that is your colour. All cowls, all the time.

Sel and Poivre said...

Knitting has this pesky multidimensional quality - colour, size, style, okay but then weight and bulk and stretch? And in some garments its all of the above?

Whatever your thoughts on this FO in real life, in the photo, to me, it just looks great!

Jessica said...

Love, love, love the color. I'm knitting a thick chunky cowl for myself next winter. I actually really like yours.