Saturday, August 28, 2010

Going Coastal

Nova Scotia!

From top left: Lunenberg, olde-timey bench in Lunenberg, the most famous lighthouse in Canada,
Peggy's Cove, Fish n' Chips everywhere, the Bluenose II (I think!),
olde-timey suitcases we use that are easy to spot on the luggage carousel,
Halifax sunset, more Peggy's cove, sign at our
favourite airline, me in the "Oscar Wilde" room at the Waverly Inn,
place I kind of regret not buying a bag at, interesting thingamajig on the side of a building,
Lunenberg harbour, the still at
Ironworks Distillery.


This year the b.f. and I broke with tradition and headed east instead of north this summer. Our maritime trip marked my first time boarding a plane in Canada and landing in... Canada. No customs, no currency exchange, no culture shock: nice!

We had a super relax-y time, ate lots of seafood, read lots of books and I managed to finally get back to my Geodesic cardigan:

It's hard to take good pictures of your knitting in the midst of strong ocean breezes whilst being nibbled by mosquitoes.

Do you ever find yourself seeing knitting everywhere and thinking you're crazy?

Seeing this tree initially had me thinking I was a little too obsessed with knitting and was beginning to lose my grip on reality. Turns out, Halifax is just really cool.

I only managed to visit one yarn store on my trip, but it was enough to ensure I wasn't leaving the coast without yarn in hand.

The Loop is small but mighty, with a nice selection of high quality yarn. I was lookin' for real souvenir yarn that I wouldn't be able to find at home and was not disappointed:


I picked up two skeins of undyed wool/cashgora from Fibrepalooza. Yarn to make you feel warm and fuzzy on the inside and the outside. Lovely! Too bad I was on the other side of the province - it looks like the Fibrepalooza farm would be a neat place to visit!

Lastly, a little handmade touch from the country house we stayed in:

Over the course of a week I became quite smitten with this rag rug.

Sigh. I feel like I blinked and summer is over. Cicadas are buzzing, the Ex is in town and I have an irrational urge to buy a new binder... autumn is coming! I'll try to console myself with dreams of fall/winter knits... mmm... sweaters.




4 comments:

whistlepeaknits said...

I miss my home province this time of year! Summer doesn't feel like summer to me without those crisp ocean breezes.

Brenda said...

Can't wait to see your geodesic cardigan. It's on my list, so I am researching others' finished GC

ingrid said...

What? You were in my province and I didn't see you?! Oh well, glad you enjoyed your time here. :)

I used to work in a museum (in NS) where old ladies would drop by every Thursday afternoon to make braided rag rugs. Such a great summer job!

Reckless Glue said...

looks like a fun trip---I haven't been to Halifax in years! So if A's folks move there will that mean no more Julia trips to Ottawa??? wahhhh.