Sunday, January 02, 2011

Kitschy, Crafty Christmas

Hope you had a great holiday!

We went a little crazy this year with our self-designed christmas cards. It would not have been possible without the wonderful camera-work of the talented Jenny Rowsom and the generous loan of a "Jersey Girl" wig (Snooki, Amy Winehouse, Elvira... it's really a multi-purpose look) from Nicole. Thanks guys!

This year marks the first year we got a tree too. A real tree, not the 5 dollar little artificial jobby I bought at Honest Ed's 10 years ago.

Of course a tree measuring taller than 12 inches requires considerably more decorations.
I'm beginning to start a collection of kitschy vintage decorations:

And of course, my tree wouldn't be complete without the crafty decorations too:


Patterns: Free Santa and Reindeer ornaments from the Lily Sugar n Cream website
Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter
Hook: 3.5 mm

The mushroom was stolen (or just about) directly from Cara's beautiful christmas tree. You can find info on the 'shroom on her blog here. Thanks, Cara!

Now there's a few things that I just can't resist when it comes to holiday crafting and that's pinecones, Martha Stewart glitter and crocheted snowflakes:
(Pinecones and glitter not pictured)

Pattern: Crocheted motifs from a Japanese book - sorry, not much help there!
Yarn: Phildar Sunset
Hook: 3mm.
Notes/Mods: I really want to make more of these for next year and I'll definitely use a smaller hook next time. Them snowflakes should be toit!

Having a real tree this year made me realize how much I freakin' love christmas trees. I love the bit of nature indoors, the warm glow from lights, the pine smell...sigh. Alas, my living room is neither large, nor the natural territory for a Balsam fir. It's well past New Year's and it's time to get Mr.Tree ready for garbage day.

Happy New Year, guys!

6 comments:

whistlepeaknits said...

I love those vintage ornaments. I should look online for some now when they might be on sale.

Real trees are the greatest but I have to have mine outta here on Boxing Day. I can't stand it hanging around once Christmas is over.

subliminalrabbit said...

love love LOVE the card!

bryan's mom bought us a little tiny planted fir that sits on our dining room table... which is so nice now that the big tree is gone from the house. smells good and reminds me of family and the holidays!

Andi said...

I love the little reindeer. It reminds me a bit of the claymation Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.

Delphine Roussel said...

Great pic and awesome design!

Reckless Glue said...

O man I would KILL for those little dear ornaments...I find they're getting harder and harder to find for my "woodland creatures" tree. I love my snowflakes...I just packed everything up the other day, but now I get to think about you every year when I unpack them!

Psyche Knits said...

When I first saw the card, I thought it was a store bought, professional card so great job! Fooled me :) very cute by the way