Saturday, May 07, 2011

April showers bring May cables?

If April showers bring May flowers, Toronto should be one giant bloom by now. At least the crummy weather makes staying indoors with some wool and needles look pretty attractive. As a result, I have a rather unseasonable new sweater to share with you:


Pattern: Cable Tunic from Patons "Anti Freeze"
Yarn: Patons Classic Wool Roving in #77010 Natural
Notes/Mods: I added about 9 inches to the length to make it a bum-covering (and therefore leggings appropriate) sweater.

Despite being an easy and fun pattern, this took me ages to knit! I kept putting it on the back-burner. I think I'll get a lot of wear out of it ... you know, next winter when it's actually cold enough to wear a bulky-weight 100% wool sweater! My one beef is the neck:


The neckline is somewhere between a stand-up collar and a cowl and really needs to make up it's mind. The pattern has you knit "until work measures length to fit around neck edge" which is a little vague. I think the collar really needs to be smaller than the neck edge and slightly stretched to make it look like the picture in the book. I don't think the yarn has enough drape to be a cowl, so I'm going take out a few inches and futz around with it until it behaves itself. Hopefully I'll get around to that before next spring.

I'm thinking of starting a lightweight spring cardigan. Maybe I'll be debuting that for fall?

4 comments:

whistlepeaknits said...

Haha. I know what you mean about starting projects with the current season in mind only to finish them when the weather turns. It looks great as do your photos!

Reckless Glue said...

totes fab! And I'm diggin' your hair colour right now too...

nicole said...

Agree! Your hair colour is dynomite! As is the sweater! Hilariously enouh, I'm coming to the home stretch of my roving sweater as well! Just in time for the summer!

Mariya said...

love the sweater, adore your hair color.