Friday, July 01, 2011

Wild and wooly

When I first saw Patons Wild Child yarn, I thought it was a coo-koo as it's name. Tufts of wool on a string? What are you supposed to do with that? That's not yarn! When I saw a sample of it knit up and realized it looked like sheepskin, I changed my tune a little. My focus was singular; "That would make a great pillow."

So I knit one.
Despite the fact Austin Powers references are both passe and cringe-inducing,
I've got to say the term "shagadellic" is pretty appropriate here.


The details: I knit this in stockinette stitch from corner to corner, using smaller than recommended needles (6 mm) to get a denser fabric. It's funny that the tufts of wool show up only on the purl side in stockinette stitch, so that's what you see as the pillow's right side. If you knit in garter stitch, the tufts show up on both sides. How do I know this? Swatching my friends; Knitter's best frenemy!


The 'pattern': It's pretty simple...

Cast on 3 sts.
Next row: Kfb (Knit into front and back of next stitch). P1. Kfb. (5 sts).
Next and following wrong side rows: Knit.
Next and following right side rows: P1. Kfb. Purl to last 2 sts. Kfb. P1.

I repeated the last two rows until the two sides of the resulting triangle were the same size as my pillow form, then I changed colours and decreased like so:

Right side rows:
P1. P2tog. Purl to last 3 sts. P2tog. P1.
Wrong side rows: Knit.
I repeated those last two rows until I was down to 5 stitches then:
Next wrong side row: P1. P3tog. P1. (3 sts).
Cast off!

To put the pillow together I made a simple pillow case with some dark grey lining-type fabric and slapped (sewed, really) my knitting to the front of it. Voila - one big ole' shaggy pillah!

1 comment:

Reckless Glue said...

you are the pillow queen! (and it looks like Teddy loves it too..)